Other Podcasts

adwinistrator

Re: Other Podcasts

Post by adwinistrator » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:26 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Listening to Joe Rogan #436 - Stefan Molyneux. Very interesting dude.
He even spoke the heresy that corporations are not part of Free Market Capitalism. :o
I remember enjoying that podcast in back when it was recorded. Molyneux has some decent interviews and videos where he gives a unique angle on a subject, but the more you see/hear/read from him, the more creepy shit you find out. Basically running a private subscription based radio show and forum, where he and his wife have ended up counselling some of members to cut off contact with their family, and join the Molyneux internet family, over really silly things.
LVH2 wrote:
Hastur wrote:I forgot to mention In Our Time with Melvyn Bragg on BBC4.
This is my favorite at the moment. I don't really like opinion driven podcasts.

The recent one about the Gin Craze is a good place to start.

Titus Oates and the Popish Plot (kind of a red scare, but for Catholics)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b079rbcj

Foxe's Book of Martyrs (more stuff with people killing each other over religion)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vy2dd

I don't like the science ones much, and dislike the ones where they discuss some broad concept like "love" even more.
Make sure to check if you can access the category specific feeds on your podcast app.

In Our Time: Culture/History/Philosophy/Religion/Science

The episodes go all the way back to 1998 on those ones.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:36 pm

podcast addict is free, and has never let me down.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:41 pm

Which ones am I missing? And when is Decline coming back?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:Which ones am I missing? And when is Decline coming back?
No clue about Decline. Darryl finished a new Martyr Made recently, and I'd bet lining up the schedules between him and John isn't very easy...

Hopefully they continue though, it was certainly a unique discussion, although quite a lot of jargon at times (references to authors, theories, books as shorthand).

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:37 pm

quite a lot of jargon
Arguably my favorite feature. It's nice having some of my more fringe ideals backed up in literature.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:53 pm

adwinistrator wrote:Molyneux has some decent interviews and videos where he gives a unique angle on a subject, but the more you see/hear/read from him, the more creepy shit you find out.
Every month or so I give Molyneux a chance but his videos are too damn long & he's not as cute as he thinks he is. He embodies all that is creepy about Libertarianism but his perspectives often enforce my own, so until he goes completely off the reservation, I'll occasionally give him my ear.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:04 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Every month or so I give Molyneux a chance but his videos are too damn long & he's not as cute as he thinks he is. He embodies all that is creepy about Libertarianism but his perspectives often enforce my own, so until he goes completely off the reservation, I'll occasionally give him my ear.

I have been considering converting his videos to audio because his video format is just horrible. I agree with your critiques of his presentation. Sliced bread he is not.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:32 am

Haumana wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Every month or so I give Molyneux a chance but his videos are too damn long & he's not as cute as he thinks he is. He embodies all that is creepy about Libertarianism but his perspectives often enforce my own, so until he goes completely off the reservation, I'll occasionally give him my ear.

I have been considering converting his videos to audio because his video format is just horrible. I agree with your critiques of his presentation. Sliced bread he is not.
He used to be an actor so bear that in mind. I don't care for what little I've seen of him; too changeable, but occasionally he speaks on a point I agree with right before he smashes it with the narrative I'm sick and tired of.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:02 am

Martin Hash wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:Molyneux has some decent interviews and videos where he gives a unique angle on a subject, but the more you see/hear/read from him, the more creepy shit you find out.
Every month or so I give Molyneux a chance but his videos are too damn long & he's not as cute as he thinks he is. He embodies all that is creepy about Libertarianism but his perspectives often enforce my own, so until he goes completely off the reservation, I'll occasionally give him my ear.
Yeah, I can't do a half hour video.

At that length it needs to be audio so I can ingest while driving or in text form so I can read it.

Reading is the still the most effective way of learning IMO
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:03 am

Okeefenokee wrote:podcast addict is free, and has never let me down.

Jordan Harbour is writing a book based on the Rome Industrial universe. Should be awesome
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session