Other Podcasts

GloryofGreece

Re: Other Podcasts

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm
Fantastic Radiolab episode about the horrors of Facebook.

They've essentially been defining "PC Culture" for the past decade.

Jeez Facebook disgust me. What a cesspool of drivel, vanity and banality.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:48 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 pm
Fantastic Radiolab episode about the horrors of Facebook.

They've essentially been defining "PC Culture" for the past decade.

Jeez Facebook disgust me. What a cesspool of drivel, vanity and banality.
There is an interview with the twitter ceo where he openly admits that his company has a liberal culture and that conservatives there are unwilling to speak their minds for fear about their career. I am paraphrasing but only slightly. However, he denies that twitter deliberately manipulates its partisan take on news. He also denied that twitter deletes and suspends accounts that post conservative articles and viewpoints (which is total bullshit). I don't use either site, but social media companies are a cancer on our society. I really hate twitter and facebook passionately. I hope they both go under financially, and that nothing replaces them. About a year ago, I read a few articles talking about how facebook was a bubble. Haven't heard much about that now, but I hope its true.

As a thought experiment, do you guys think that if facebook was about to go bankrupt due to some kind of financial mismanagement they could successfully lobby the government for a bailout? Does Zuckerberg have that kind of pull? Additionally, I wonder if Zuckerberg could attempt to appeal to users to write to their representatives to encourage such a bailout. Imagine how hilarious and fucked up that would be lol. The thing is, most people my age view facebook as being as essential as potable water or a car. They cannot live without it. I really hope Zuckerberg doesn't run for any higher office. Imagine the damage he could do in the Oval Office or even as a governor. Fortunately for society, he is not a particularly charismatic or intriguing speaker, so he probably wouldn't win.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:48 pm

As a thought experiment, do you guys think that if facebook was about to go bankrupt due to some kind of financial mismanagement they could successfully lobby the government for a bailout? Does Zuckerberg have that kind of pull?
Might Zuckerberg and @Jack see a big assed antitrust action as their saving grace?

Let's make a deal.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:57 pm

I think the future of this kind of tech is far and away from big centralized tech firms. It's more about creating open architectures and formats to put together a distributed social network. Or, more accurately, it's about turning the Internet itself into a kind of social network. Nobody controls it, but it's easier to create rich views of what is out there.

Facebook and Twitter are like AOL, basically. Maybe it takes a techie INTP to point this out. I don't know. It's kind of obvious, though.

The one not easily split up is Google. It needs competitors but nothing else comes close to their precision and recall in basic search. The only thing that Google does to make competition possible right now is fucking with the results.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:01 pm

In a way it mirrors the problems with globalism versus nationalism (or regionalism). One side wants this massive, centralized authoritarian control apparatus whereas the other want distributed control in which everybody just uses the same protocol and communicates effectively without the need to control much of anything.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:17 pm

Fife wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:54 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:48 pm

As a thought experiment, do you guys think that if facebook was about to go bankrupt due to some kind of financial mismanagement they could successfully lobby the government for a bailout? Does Zuckerberg have that kind of pull?
Might Zuckerberg and @Jack see a big assed antitrust action as their saving grace?

Let's make a deal.
If we could make a crony capitalism ranking system, where would tech companies fall? For instance, the average Americans knows that Oil companies defense contractors, and banks are able to influence legislation in major and obvious ways, including foreign policy. Does google have that kind of pull? What about facebook? I have read articles that say tech will surpass finance as the most influential sector of our economy, but I am skeptical. Then again, I'm not an economist. How much pull on the Capitol do people like Zuckerberg have in your opinion? I have no idea.
Shikata ga nai

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:43 pm

Trump fucked up Silicon Valley's plans.

They were banking on Net Neutrality and Hillary to cement their state-monopoly positions.

Now they are looking at different deals. A huge antitrust action "against" them from the entrenched state might be just the ticket.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Fife wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:43 pm
Trump fucked up Silicon Valley's plans.

They were banking on Net Neutrality and Hillary to cement their state-monopoly positions.

Now they are looking at different deals. A huge antitrust action "against" them from the entrenched state might be just the ticket.
Well, since Net Neutrality was discontinued, Comcast has sold the vast majority of their bandwidth to NetFlix, Amazon, Google, and streaming services. If I want to watch Netflix, no problem, everything is great, but if I want to simply surf the Internet, no fucking way from 7-11 pm. I have to flip over to using my cell plan.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Same.

Thanks, merchant fluffers.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:47 pm

Anecdotal fallacy. X2.