Show 270 - Poking The Bear/CS 288 Re-Heating the Cold War

StCapps

Show 270 - Poking The Bear/CS 288 Re-Heating the Cold War

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Had to make sure I archived all the pages of some of these show discussion threads before the DCF closed, here are two that I managed to save:

Show 270 - Poking The Bear
https://web.archive.org/web/20161202211 ... =1&t=40825

CS 288 – Re-heating the Cold War
https://web.archive.org/web/20161024005 ... 0311f4f3a1
*yip*

ssu

Re: Show 270 - Poking The Bear/CS 288 Re-Heating the Cold War

Post by ssu » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks StCapps!

I truly loved Poking The Bear.

Remember the time when somebody posted the-heliborne-assault-caught-on-smartphone and Smitty was all over the place of the VDV. Smitty knew that was a serious operation immediately.

Great it was saved, true history in the making commented...

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm

ssu wrote:Thanks StCapps!

I truly loved Poking The Bear.

Remember the time when somebody posted the-heliborne-assault-caught-on-smartphone and Smitty was all over the place of the VDV. Smitty knew that was a serious operation immediately.

Great it was saved, true history in the making commented...
Yet another instance of the DCF being way ahead of the news cycle. Smitty calling things before they happened was pretty eerie, probably my favorite thread in forum's history.

Kind of lame no one archived all of the Forcasting Thread, I thought someone else would do that, especially with nuke archiving a bunch of other threads, thought that would have been on the top of his list. That's a huge dropped ball.
*yip*

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Thanks, Capps. Both were high watermarks and the essence of what makes this group different. Bummer that Dan felt the need to not even provide an archive of the forum. A pretty shitty move, imo.

katarn

Post by katarn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:56 pm

A few pages of the election thread at least were archived, but not in any volume of the sort we would all want. It is a shame he didn't archive it, but to be fair, he saw the link to the archive we were using and thought (along with Kath and others) it had it all already.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:00 pm

katarn wrote:A few pages of the election thread at least were archived, but not in any volume of the sort we would all want. It is a shame he didn't archive it, but to be fair, he saw the link to the archive we were using and thought (along with Kath and others) it had it all already.
You know what he thought? Because I was thinking he was hoping that a lot of that shit would just go away. Which of us is correct in guessing what that other human was thinking?

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Haumana wrote:
katarn wrote:A few pages of the election thread at least were archived, but not in any volume of the sort we would all want. It is a shame he didn't archive it, but to be fair, he saw the link to the archive we were using and thought (along with Kath and others) it had it all already.
You know what he thought? Because I was thinking he was hoping that a lot of that shit would just go away otherwise why not just archive it? Which of us is correct in guessing what that other human was thinking?

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:24 pm

Haumana wrote:
You know what he thought? Because I was thinking he was hoping that a lot of that shit would just go away. Which of us is correct in guessing what that other human was thinking?
You are correct. I do not know the thoughts that went through Dan's head, but he did post something of effect (as I took it) similar to such feelings.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:58 pm

katarn wrote: You are correct. I do not know the thoughts that went through Dan's head, but he did post something of effect (as I took it) similar to such feelings.
I think there were posts about how everything wasn't available at the wayback machine. Dan did say, when directly asked and offered payment for costs about keeping an archive up, that he would not be doing that. It wasn't even up for discussion. *shrug

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:33 pm

I am surprised it wasn't archived because I do believe it had historical value.

Considering the significant changes which took place during its existence. not only on the board but technological and societal shifts were reflected in depth for 15 years real time.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama