HH 59 : The Destroyer of Worlds

SilverEagle

Re: HH 59 : The Destroyer of Worlds

Post by SilverEagle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:19 pm

California wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:I'm about 3 hours in, and now have an understanding of how ignorant I am of the Korean War.

Please point me to books, websites, documentaries, etc.

I am honestly a bit ashamed at my blind spot in regards to this, I have family that served there.
That 30-45 minutes of the Korean War really makes me want a full HH on it now
Watch this!
Screw waiting for Dan to do one.
The Battle of Chosin Documentary.
https://youtu.be/KHotyyg0x_E
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:27 pm

What Chosin demonstrated to the Soviets, was that America was not perhaps willing to use the Bomb to prevent the tripwire from being overrun, they did get out of there, but just barely, it was only right at the very end, that they made it to the one bridge left to escape across, and only by the skin of their teeth did they make it, and at no time did America bring out the Bomb to save them.

This I would submit, contributed to the Soviets inferring that the tripwire in West Berlin was not so tripwire after all, which in the end, led to the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:24 am

Smitty-48 wrote:What Chosin demonstrated to the Soviets, was that America was not perhaps willing to use the Bomb to prevent the tripwire from being overrun, they did get out of there, but just barely, it was only right at the very end, that they made it to the one bridge left to escape across, and only by the skin of their teeth did they make it, and at no time did America bring out the Bomb to save them.

This I would submit, contributed to the Soviets inferring that the tripwire in West Berlin was not so tripwire after all, which in the end, led to the Cuban Missile Crisis.
MacArthur lost his command because he was willing, and recommended dropping it. Not just on Korea, he wanted to take out China too.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:07 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:What Chosin demonstrated to the Soviets, was that America was not perhaps willing to use the Bomb to prevent the tripwire from being overrun, they did get out of there, but just barely, it was only right at the very end, that they made it to the one bridge left to escape across, and only by the skin of their teeth did they make it, and at no time did America bring out the Bomb to save them.

MacArthur lost his command because he was willing, and recommended dropping it. Not just on Korea, he wanted to take out China too.
The fact that they were willing to publicly fire MacArthur for daring to even advocate for it, shows how unwilling they were to actually deploy the bomb to defend distant territory and troops in the field, it was only when the MRBM's were within five minutes strike radius of Washington DC, that they finally invoked the nuclear deterent, which, actually surprised the Soviets, the Soviets thought that they could get away with it, which was what took things right to the brink.
Nec Aspera Terrent

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:39 pm

SilverEagle wrote:
California wrote:
adwinistrator wrote:I'm about 3 hours in, and now have an understanding of how ignorant I am of the Korean War.

Please point me to books, websites, documentaries, etc.

I am honestly a bit ashamed at my blind spot in regards to this, I have family that served there.
That 30-45 minutes of the Korean War really makes me want a full HH on it now
Watch this!
Screw waiting for Dan to do one.
The Battle of Chosin Documentary.
https://youtu.be/KHotyyg0x_E

Thanks for the recommendation. It was good.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:55 pm

I have read several accounts of the battle, but I cannot quite get why the Army units on the east side of the Chosin Reservoir where left hanging. It was a seriously bad situation for the Americans, but It looks to me like they were just abandoned, whereas the Marines were not.

As for the bomb, one of them can destroy a city. Perhaps some were not eager to set a precedent. Just where were they going to drop it at the battle, or should they have dropped on Beijing, and have a really hot war? All through the Cold War, there was plenty of fighting done through proxies. The major powers were never attacked directly, just all of their little allies enjoying open warfare. Even in Vietnam, and Afghanistan, were there was full involvement of the Western, and Soviet military, the fighting was all done on foreign soil.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:32 pm

jbird4049 wrote:I have read several accounts of the battle, but I cannot quite get why the Army units on the east side of the Chosin Reservoir where left hanging. It was a seriously bad situation for the Americans, but It looks to me like they were just abandoned, whereas the Marines were not.
It's not that they were abandoned per se, the army commander simply dismissed the possibility of the Chinese being able to threaten his forces, he was warned, but he just said "those Chinese laundrymen can't fight worth a damn, I'm not worried about it"

Once they were encircled, it was all hands on deck to try to fight through from the south, with tanks and whatnot, to open a way for a break out, but that actually turned into a meatgrinder, the progress was painfully slow, because the Chinese were cutting that rescue force to pieces as it crawled along through their kill zone.
jbird4049 wrote: As for the bomb, one of them can destroy a city. Perhaps some were not eager to set a precedent. Just where were they going to drop it at the battle, or should they have dropped on Beijing, and have a really hot war?

The plan was to intimidate the Soviets and Chinese into capitulating, by dropping nuclear weapons on North Korea and creating a ring of nuclear "blast zones" through Manchuria, it was called Operation Hudson Harbor.
Nec Aspera Terrent

ssu

Post by ssu » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:54 pm

Finally the weekend to listen to this! :D

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:34 pm

adwinistrator wrote:
Fife wrote:Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ cellulite.
I call it marbling.
:lol:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:11 pm

A Bliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitz Show.

Loved it! :D