HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

GloryofGreece

Re: HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:33 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan.
It's been done. Check out Revolutions podcast. It's really not bad at all, either.
I've checked it out. It isn't as good as Dan's best work. Also, there's aspects or cool unique qualities of the Revolution that Dan could tackle that the other podcast did do or didn't do it thoroughly.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:34 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Hastur wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
He already did fall of rome. Probably won't do any of those other topics. I'm not sure Dan has the skill to do any of those, though a three parter on the Missouri Compromise would be interesting, as a lot of pivotal things happened around that time.
That's an awful list of suggestions for Dan's HH. Most of those subjects are too broad and/or too well known to fit the format. Dan's best work is when he tackles clearly delimited subjects, preferably less known as well, like Apache Tears, Prophets of Doom, The American Peril or Logical Insanity or when he rambles on some subject we normally don't consider like Radical Thoughts, Addicted to Bondage, History Under the Influence or Guns and Horses. To hear a 40 hour retelling of the french revolution spread out over the next 5 years - No Thank You.
Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan. Fuck off. Plus when was the last time Dan did something like Addicted to Bondage...o yea like 10 years ago. The list is good and more probable that obscure topics.
Prophets of Doom and The American Peril was 2013. (Imagine that, two shows in a year).
You're only proving my point that HH has moved away from me. I'm not interested in the ten thousandth retelling of a popular history subject. I can find that in a glossy magazine at the newsagent or switch on the History Channel.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:36 am

Hastur wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote:
Hastur wrote:
That's an awful list of suggestions for Dan's HH. Most of those subjects are too broad and/or too well known to fit the format. Dan's best work is when he tackles clearly delimited subjects, preferably less known as well, like Apache Tears, Prophets of Doom, The American Peril or Logical Insanity or when he rambles on some subject we normally don't consider like Radical Thoughts, Addicted to Bondage, History Under the Influence or Guns and Horses. To hear a 40 hour retelling of the french revolution spread out over the next 5 years - No Thank You.
Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan. Fuck off. Plus when was the last time Dan did something like Addicted to Bondage...o yea like 10 years ago. The list is good and more probable that obscure topics.
Prophets of Doom and The American Peril was 2013. (Imagine that, two shows in a year).
You're only proving my point that HH has moved away from me. I'm not interested in the ten thousandth retelling of a popular history subject. I can find that in a glossy magazine at the newsagent or switch on the History Channel.
So mt topic suggestion is awful to you. I can dig it. Good thing most listeners aren't you or the few cunts on here that love to shit on Dan since Trump ran for office.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 am

Lets see how well Daniele handles the 4th and final part of the Conquests series. 3rd part was pretty meh. This is one of the fascinating topics and stories ive ever read or heard of. He should slam dunk this shit. Will he?
http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episode ... an-or-bust

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:46 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GloryofGreece wrote: Tons of people would be into a multiple part series on the French Revolution or Feudal Japan. Fuck off. Plus when was the last time Dan did something like Addicted to Bondage...o yea like 10 years ago. The list is good and more probable that obscure topics.
So mt topic suggestion is awful to you. I can dig it. Good thing most listeners aren't you or the few cunts on here that love to shit on Dan since Trump ran for office.
Dan has been blinded by the download numbers. He's forgotten his roots, why he became popular in the first place. He's trying to do subjects taht are for everyone and dumbing it down. What was so special about HH60 - The Celtic Holocaust? What was the unique Dan Carlin element of that episode? I couldn't find it.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:51 am

It wasn't his best work (subjective either way though like all artistic taste) But objectively tackling the Celtic people and the great battle of Alessia is something fairly specific, unique, and certainly not a topic he's done before and its not a "broad dumb downed" choice. Its not what you want. Its wasn't breathtaking in my opinion. But what's the issue? Was it better or worse than Destroyer and KoK?

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:56 am

GloryofGreece wrote:It wasn't his best work (subjective either way though like all artistic taste) But objectively tackling the Celtic people and the great battle of Alessia is something fairly specific, unique, and certainly not a topic he's done before and its not a "broad dumb downed" choice. Its not what you want. Its wasn't breathtaking in my opinion. But what's the issue? Was it better or worse than Destroyer and KoK?
It was as bad as KoK. Destroyer was better.

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 am

Hastur wrote: It was as bad as KoK. Destroyer was better.
I thought there were parts of KoK (1 and 3) that were incredibly fascinating. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I'm not nearly as well read as some here on history, but nonetheless, there were still parts of it that I thought were excellent. KoK 2 though? Woof.

Destroyer of Worlds was definitely awesome front to back, though.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 am

Kazmyr wrote:
I thought there were parts of KoK (1 and 3) that were incredibly fascinating. Maybe that has something to do with the fact that I'm not nearly as well read as some here on history, but nonetheless, there were still parts of it that I thought were excellent. KoK 2 though? Woof.

So it didn't bother you he already covered a lot of the same issues in Logical Insanity and Logical Insanity "Extra"? I think it was well done but it wasn't my cup of tea topic wise. I don't like thinking about nuclear destruction too much. Why would I? But having a good fundamental understanding of the thinking behind its development is always interesting and helpful. Just don't want to fixate on for 6 hours or more.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:19 am

Kazmyr wrote:

To me Dan is at his best when he surprises me. Either by telling me something I didn't already know or when he comes up with a perspective I haven't previously heard. Very little of that in KoK or CH. We already had that in Romancing the Tribes and Shield of the West. All the extra hours was just retelling way too few sources. Same as what GoG said about DoW.