What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

brewster

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by brewster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:14 am

Rereading this good stuff, much better than anything Niven wrote after like 1980.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Reading When the War Was Over about Pol Pot and Khmer Rouge by Elizabeth Becker. Just finished A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. which is a fictional account of the Bob Marley Assassination Attempt and the Kingston Gangs/CIA allegedly behind it. The book is like a more brutal version of the City of God movie.

Also read Mythos by Stephen Fry. That poof can write. Great stuff.

If you are into gritty over-the-top pulp, check out Craig Zahler's books. He is the dude who wrote and directed Dragged Across Concrete and Brawl in Cell Block 99. Like a good version of Tarantino imo...

That Once upon a Time movie was complete shit. Should have just made a movie about the Manson family. I hate it when directors make movies about the movie industry/film production. Just seems masturbatory tbh. I hate Entourage, and that is probably why. Its like how every protagonist in Stephen King's early books is a writer. If you are just writing to write about writing or directing to film directing, you are not really saying much. similar to how all these liberal arts degrees just prepare you to become a liberal arts professor. I don't see the point.
Shikata ga nai

AverageJoe

Post by AverageJoe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:57 am

I've have a weird obsession with the history of American cuisine lately

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 am

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm
If you are just writing to write about writing or directing to film directing, you are not really saying much. similar to how all these liberal arts degrees just prepare you to become a liberal arts professor. I don't see the point.
Actually, that was the original point of the University, to train Clerics, the only academics there were. It was the Enlightenment that spread the worthy notion that all men should have the knowledge to understand their world. A undergrad Liberal Arts degree should accomplish just that, and not be considered a vocational degree. The transforamtion of colleges into VoTechs is a relatively recent phenomenon, I'd say concurrent with inequality, starting in the early 80s.

As for writing about writing et al, Apparently it's irresistible. The Bard could not resist embedding plays in a number of his plays.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 am

The idea that a society should focus on its most competent members is counter to the loser’s goal of equality.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:48 am
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:47 pm
If you are just writing to write about writing or directing to film directing, you are not really saying much. similar to how all these liberal arts degrees just prepare you to become a liberal arts professor. I don't see the point.
Actually, that was the original point of the University, to train Clerics, the only academics there were. It was the Enlightenment that spread the worthy notion that all men should have the knowledge to understand their world. A undergrad Liberal Arts degree should accomplish just that, and not be considered a vocational degree. The transforamtion of colleges into VoTechs is a relatively recent phenomenon, I'd say concurrent with inequality, starting in the early 80s.

As for writing about writing et al, Apparently it's irresistible. The Bard could not resist embedding plays in a number of his plays.
I have a liberal arts degree from a decent state school. I can assure you it isn't shit. If you own a small business, I respect that. If you are an engineer, medical professional, or lawyer I respect that. If you are a skilled tradesman, I respect that. But I have witnessed firsthand the Marxist programming that is what counts as a liberal arts education firsthand. It has nothing to do with learning about the world. And its gotten worse.

Not only do you learn nothing, but all liberals arts departments are little dens of gender politics and LGTBQ Stalinistic orthodoxy. If you deviate from the orthodoxy even slightly, you get penalized. Quite frankly, I do not think any kind of liberal arts education should be funded by tax dollars. I would rather give the money wasted on college Kampuchea indoctrination centers to the military for R & D. Still corruption, still graft, still inefficient but at least it wouldn't go to some nasty green haired freak and we might get some return on our investment.

You can buy used books on Amazon or go to the library and get a far better liberal arts education than anything offered institutionally. Probably save a few bucks too. Employers also do not give a rats ass about liberal arts degrees. Can't say I blame them.

Liberal Arts Departments are essentially sewage pumping plants, and society is the tank the Millenial waste is stored in.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:07 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 pm
I have a liberal arts degree from a decent state school.
SMH
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:07 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 pm
I have a liberal arts degree from a decent state school.
SMH
The thing is, things have gotten even more faggoty at Universities. It is surreal. 10 years ago, UF was pozzed, but you could avoid this bullshit somewhat. Now I am going back for a technical communication degree. Growing field, good salary, high reports of happiness etc. Tech comm is rewriting boring shit like manuals or health studies in a way that average joe will actually pay attention and not get pissed.

Now you might be asking, what does this major have to do with gender studies, gay anal sex, and white oppression? Good fucking question dude. All I know is that every class I am taking makes an effort to shoehorn that bullshit in there. I took a class titled Writing in Plain Language. Every fucking reading assignment we had was from some disgusting self congratulatory Postmodernist faggot who used nasty SJW jargon to confuse the reader. Intentionally.

These faggots can't explain their stupid ideas plainly, because if they did, their entire suit of armor would fall off. When you break their ideas down, it is non sequiter repulsive shit that can be defeated by a 10 year old's logic. So what they do is create elaborate beauracratic structures that allow them to steal taxpayer money and indoctrinate young adults. They write shit that in many cases will only be read the 6 other trans freaks in their department. Its an impressive scam for such imbeciles to pull off. I'm sure it beats working, which is something no liberal arts professor knows anything about.

Regular folks punch a clock, liberal arts faculty swallow cock.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:23 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 pm
Its an impressive scam for such imbeciles to pull off. I'm sure it beats working, which is something no liberal arts professor knows anything about.

This is what a communist takeover looks like.

Academia is always the vanguard because communism amounts to the rule of academic elitists.

Some people cry for the Rosenberg's getting zapped, but now you know why they deserved it.

This is why we were prepared to use thermonuclear weapons against the rule of these sorts of maniacs.

The Cold War is wrongly framed as some sort of economic contest, but that wasn't the case.

The bulwark was against totalitarians and their absurdist dogma run amok imperiling freedom of conscience itself.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:23 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:23 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:35 pm
Its an impressive scam for such imbeciles to pull off. I'm sure it beats working, which is something no liberal arts professor knows anything about.

This is what a communist takeover looks like.

Academia is always the vanguard because communism amounts to the rule of academic elitists.

Some people cry for the Rosenberg's getting zapped, but now you know why they deserved it.

This is why we were prepared to use thermonuclear weapons against the rule of these sorts of maniacs.

The Cold War is wrongly framed as some sort of economic contest, but that wasn't the case.

The bulwark was against totalitarians and their absurdist dogma run amok imperiling freedom of conscience itself.
Just seeing how gay and pathetic these professors are gives me some hope. These aren't the people like that one anarchist bolshie who killed his student and plotted shit back in the day in Russia. They are weaklings and dumbasses. I'll bet they get confused on what pronouns to call themselves. I doubt they could be the vanguard of anything successful. Too many Americans would see right through it and shut it down fast. We got the courts now wut wut
Last edited by heydaralon on Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai