What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Montegriffo

Re: What Book Are You Reading at the Moment?

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 am

I just found his over the top description of every single item in a room, its odour, temperature and everyone in the room distracted from the plot and slowed down the story making to the point of tedium.
His stories were published weekly as serials in newspapers when they first appeared and maybe this breaking up of the story led to all the padding out.
Other people think he was a genius.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:30 am
I just found his over the top description of every single item in a room, its odour, temperature and everyone in the room distracted from the plot and slowed down the story making to the point of tedium.
His stories were published weekly as serials in newspapers when they first appeared and maybe this breaking up of the story led to all the padding out.
Read Christmas Carol and say he didn't know how to write a good story. Great Expectations and David Copperfield were grand narratives and good as well. Obviously all art is a matter of taste to one degree or another. But honestly with all the irony and nihilism out there its refreshing to see some sentimentality in the entertainment sector.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am

Montegriffo wrote:
I thought Scrooge was in the right, and that Mrs. Havisham should have put that fucking cake in the freezer instead of leaving it out to rot. Dumb bitch that she was.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:52 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Read Christmas Carol and say he didn't know how to write a good story. Great Expectations and David Copperfield were grand narratives and good as well. Obviously all art is a matter of taste to one degree or another. But honestly with all the irony and nihilism out there its refreshing to see some sentimentality in the entertainment sector.
I didn't say he couldn't write a good story. My objection is more about his writing style and excessive descriptions of the minutiae distracting from the storyline. Others like that part of his writing the most as it gives us insights into life in Victorian England.

I prefer the Muppet's Christmas Carol to his dreary offering. ;)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:56 am

heydaralon wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am
Montegriffo wrote:
I thought Scrooge was in the right, and that Mrs. Havisham should have put that fucking cake in the freezer instead of leaving it out to rot. Dumb bitch that she was.
Bloody right, Christmas day off? That road leads only to Communism and the death of nations.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am

One good thing about Christmas Carol was the traditional roast goose and not the importation of the nasty dry turkey from a shithole nation far across the ocean.
Goddamn globalisation of Christmas lunch.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am

Montegriffo wrote:
What newspapers?

It was the Biscester Times, is was the Worcester Times.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am
Montegriffo wrote:
What newspapers?

:lol: :lol:
...and they say that the Nords have no sense of humour.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:33 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 am
Montegriffo wrote:
What newspapers?

:lol: :lol:
...and they say that the Nords have no sense of humour.
Careful, Scandinavian humour is no laughing matter.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
I had the same problem with Stephen King.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0