589 Isolationism Again

Martin Hash

589 Isolationism Again

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 06, 2019 7:14 am

Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Re: 589 Isolationism Again

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 am

I agree, but I wonder if it is more effective to point out that this is not even really trade. If Ford moves a car factory from Detroit to Indiana, we don't call that trade when they sell Ford trucks in Michigan. It doesn't become "trade" just because they moved a factory over some border, including a national border.

Trade is when Japan builds a car in Japan, loads it onto a ship, sails it across the Pacific, and sells it in the United States. You can even argue it is sort of trade if a Japanese car company moves a factory to the US in order to build cars they sell inside the US. But if Japan moved a factory to the US, built cars here, and then shipped those cars back to Japan, would these same people call that "trade"? Doubtful.

GloryofGreece

Re: 589 Isolationism Again

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon May 06, 2019 8:26 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:02 am
I agree, but I wonder if it is more effective to point out that this is not even really trade. If Ford moves a car factory from Detroit to Indiana, we don't call that trade when they sell Ford trucks in Michigan. It doesn't become "trade" just because they moved a factory over some border, including a national border.

Trade is when Japan builds a car in Japan, loads it onto a ship, sails it across the Pacific, and sells it in the United States. You can even argue it is sort of trade if a Japanese car company moves a factory to the US in order to build cars they sell inside the US. But if Japan moved a factory to the US, built cars here, and then shipped those cars back to Japan, would these same people call that "trade"? Doubtful.
On a side not , the more I learn about Henry Ford the more I like him and thank he should be called an American patriot. Captain of Industry and not a Robber Baron.
The good, the true, & the beautiful