378 Stocks

Martin Hash

Re: 378 Stocks

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:10 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:PE ratio is not ‘how long it would take to pay off’, bubba. You’re thinking of Yield.

PE multiple is how many times the annual profits the company is being valued at.
Yield is a percentage. PE is a number. Like I said: how many years to pay off the stock.

Earnings: $2/share
Price per share: $50
$50/$2 = 25 years, same as PE.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:PE ratio is not ‘how long it would take to pay off’, bubba. You’re thinking of Yield.

PE multiple is how many times the annual profits the company is being valued at.
Yield is a percentage. PE is a number. Like I said: how many years to pay off the stock.

Earnings $2/share
Price per share: $50
$50/$2 = 25 years, same as PE.
If the shareholder were somehow getting 100% of the profits, they could get their investment paid off. That’s not how it works though.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:26 pm

My point was that PE ratio shows how ridiculous the payoff timeframe is. Not declaring dividends, another of my complaints, just makes it worse.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Don't go by fundamentals. Those are joke numbers.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:37 pm

PE in particular is pointless. The only real number in that ratio is the price. It's like the ratio between the price of milk and unicorn farts.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:06 pm

Just to be clear, if a company does NOT declare dividends equal to the Earnings, the Price Per Share is supposed to go up to reflect the Retained Earnings, so the stockholder IS supposed to be gaining equity, which means the general idea that PE is how many years to pay off your investment is still technically true.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Just to be clear, if a company does NOT declare dividends equal to the Earnings, the Price Per Share is supposed to go up to reflect the Retained Earnings, so the stockholder IS supposed to be gaining equity, which means the general idea that PE is how many years to pay off your investment is still technically true.
Share price should theoretically respond to an increase in cash on hand, in some fashion, yes. That’s a large part of Apples value. They aren’t innovating anymore, but they’ve got a few billion in cash, waiting to be dished out.

I’d like to own stock in any company that ever gave 100% dividends though. ;)

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Just to be clear, if a company does NOT declare dividends equal to the Earnings, the Price Per Share is supposed to go up to reflect the Retained Earnings, so the stockholder IS supposed to be gaining equity, which means the general idea that PE is how many years to pay off your investment is still technically true.
Share price should theoretically respond to an increase in cash on hand, in some fashion, yes. That’s a large part of Apples value. They aren’t innovating anymore, but they’ve got a few billion in cash, waiting to be dished out.

Forcing companies to pay full dividends is part of the Hash Plan for Most Liberty to Most People. Companies primarily hold cash to cheat taxes and minority stockholders. There's no legitimate reason for a company to retain earnings: that's what banks and investors are for.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 am

Martin Hash wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Forcing companies to pay full dividends is part of the Hash Plan for Most Liberty to Most People. Companies primarily hold cash to cheat taxes and minority stockholders. There's no legitimate reason for a company to retain earnings: that's what banks and investors are for.
They keep most of it for re-investment/buybacks/debt. If they gave it all back, the business would never grow.

I like your plan, but it would never get a vote in Congress. You might be able to mandate 75% or so, that would be nice.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:19 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:They keep most of it for re-investment/buybacks/debt. If they gave it all back, the business would never grow.
Like I said, that's what banks and investors are for. The vast majority of businesses are already passthrough; only the tax/shareholder-cheating ones are C corps.

p.s. A business is a legal fiction and money is imaginary.