248 Price Gouging

Martin Hash

248 Price Gouging

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:34 am

248 Price Gouging pic.JPG
Intro Video

And here's the podcast:
248-1 S.E.A. Aquarium pic.JPG
Travel Tidbit: S.E.A. Aquarium Intro Video and here's the story: Chinese New Year at the S.E.A. Aquarium Travel Tidbit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Re: 248 Price Gouging

Post by DBTrek » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:08 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I like it.

Another aspect that often goes unaddressed is the timeframe within which “price gouging” is viable. Running with your insulin example:
  • An Earthquake devastates a California town. “Price Gougers” travel by boat and plane with crates of insulin, arriving three days before FEMA can get set up and start distributing dividends from government-speed recovery efforts.
    The price gougers charge 10x normal prices for their insulin.
The moral outrage comes from the sense that these gougers are exploiting a desperate situation to maximize profits. However, prohibiting the gougers from operating results in NOBODY getting insulin for three days. Even when that FEMA insulin arrives, it’s going to be a limited supply - meaning not everyone who needs it will get some anyway.

I think people would be less incensed over “price gouging” if they got away from their “evil capitalists” mindset and assessed the situation more pragmatically. Instead of seeing these folks as opportunistic locusts, they should view them as financial risk takers who have invested money, time, and effort into bringing additional critical resources into an area with critical need.

To a man in the verge of dying of thirst, a $10 bottle of water is vastly superior to “free” government water that arrives four hours after he dies.
/shrug
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am

My God, Martin's OP and DB's entry are full of Win.

IN B4 "I hope Sheriff Israel shoots your thieving ass right between the eyes."

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:15 pm

Well congrats Martin - apparently there is no disagreement on this one. Enshrine it in your political platform! :dance:

Should make you a hit with the other Dems.
They’ll love it.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:17 pm

When people start clamoring that nobody ever changes their mind from these forums, I have this as one example of how engaging in conversation helped me "see the light," on this one.
Account abandoned.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:20 pm

I wrote that last year at this time. (Look at the number.)

p.s. It first aired last July.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:15 am

I agree with the principle, of course. But I don't know that you'll ever get desperate people to trust that the disaster pricing model of the local 7-11 is balanced with demand.

Nothing to stop a guy from overcharging ridiculously, and hoarding his own supply, then dumping right before the crisis ends.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0