Is Bitcoin a Currency?

Fife

Re: Is Bitcoin a Currency?

Post by Fife » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:07 pm

Hastur wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 am
Bitcoin is clearly a commodity. Most commodities can function as a currency under some circumstances. Like cigarettes in prison.
Wait, what?

You can actually smoke a cigarette.

And in WWII POW camps for all belligerents, American cigarettes were much more valuable than European crap cigarettes. Not really substitutable between brands.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/commodity.asp
A commodity is a basic good used in commerce that is interchangeable with other goods of the same type. Commodities are most often used as inputs in the production of other goods or services. The quality of a given commodity may differ slightly, but it is essentially uniform across producers.

When they are traded on an exchange, commodities must also meet specified minimum standards, also known as a basis grade. They tend to change rapidly from year to year.

The basic idea is that there is little differentiation between a commodity coming from one producer and the same commodity from another producer. A barrel of oil is basically the same product, regardless of the producer.

By contrast, for electronics merchandise, the quality and features of a given product may be completely different depending on the producer. Some traditional examples of commodities include the following:

Grains
Gold
Beef
Oil
Natural gas

More recently, the definition has expanded to include financial products, such as foreign currencies and indexes. Technological advances have also led to new types of commodities being exchanged in the marketplace. For example, cell phone minutes and bandwidth.

My point is that crypto doesn't have any IRL use as something that can be consumed. Sorta takes it out of the commodity discussion from the git-go.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:18 pm

Now, having said that, the Austrians have not made the jump from crypto not being a commodity to not being money ("currency" doesn't strike me as the real question).

That's pretty fascinating stuff.

It's too long to excerpt here, but there is some good discussion of bitcoin jumping around Mises’s regression theorem. https://mises.org/wire/bitcoin-and-theory-money

Sure, it's not a commodity, but it is definitely a medium of exchange nonetheless.

That just leaves the other sticky problem something faces in being actual money, that is -- ubiquitous acceptance in trade.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 pm

You can buy and sell drugs with bitcoin.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Fife wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:07 pm
Hastur wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:31 am
Bitcoin is clearly a commodity. Most commodities can function as a currency under some circumstances. Like cigarettes in prison.
Wait, what?

You can actually smoke a cigarette.

And in WWII POW camps for all belligerents, American cigarettes were much more valuable than European crap cigarettes. Not really substitutable between brands.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/commodity.asp
A commodity is a basic good used in commerce that is interchangeable with other goods of the same type. Commodities are most often used as inputs in the production of other goods or services. The quality of a given commodity may differ slightly, but it is essentially uniform across producers.

When they are traded on an exchange, commodities must also meet specified minimum standards, also known as a basis grade. They tend to change rapidly from year to year.

The basic idea is that there is little differentiation between a commodity coming from one producer and the same commodity from another producer. A barrel of oil is basically the same product, regardless of the producer.

By contrast, for electronics merchandise, the quality and features of a given product may be completely different depending on the producer. Some traditional examples of commodities include the following:

Grains
Gold
Beef
Oil
Natural gas

More recently, the definition has expanded to include financial products, such as foreign currencies and indexes. Technological advances have also led to new types of commodities being exchanged in the marketplace. For example, cell phone minutes and bandwidth.

My point is that crypto doesn't have any IRL use as something that can be consumed. Sorta takes it out of the commodity discussion from the git-go.
Cryptocurrency is a part of a blockchain. It is the "reward" you get for computing a new block.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfina ... countancy/
Although there's plenty to be said about how the blockchain works, accountants should understand the basic role of blockchain: maintaining a ledger of financial information and transferring the ownership of assets in a safe and verifiable manner. Baked into the design of blockchain technology is a distributed ledger that assures the confidence of everyone involved, and the strong cryptographic basis shows that, when implemented properly, the blockchain offers effectively unbreakable protection. For accountants, the benefits of this technology should be amply clear even if the underlying technology is a bit elusive:

• Automating transactions with less error in data on both sides of the transaction.

• Less fraud and more trust in transactions.

• Increase in transaction security and less bad data.
It has a value. It is like a receipt for work done. A payslip if you will.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:58 am

Hastur wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Cryptocurrency is a part of a blockchain. It is the "reward" you get for computing a new block.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesfina ... countancy/
Although there's plenty to be said about how the blockchain works, accountants should understand the basic role of blockchain: maintaining a ledger of financial information and transferring the ownership of assets in a safe and verifiable manner. Baked into the design of blockchain technology is a distributed ledger that assures the confidence of everyone involved, and the strong cryptographic basis shows that, when implemented properly, the blockchain offers effectively unbreakable protection. For accountants, the benefits of this technology should be amply clear even if the underlying technology is a bit elusive:

• Automating transactions with less error in data on both sides of the transaction.

• Less fraud and more trust in transactions.

• Increase in transaction security and less bad data.
This is undeniably true.

BTC and blockchain tech have value, great value.

So does the process for developing and manufacturing a beneficial medication, useful software coding, and painting a desirable picture have value.

They aren't commodities either.

The cool thing is that cryptocurrency technology looks to be sui generis as a potential money that is a non-commodity.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:01 am

Hastur wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:50 pm
How much will you pay me for my receipts and payslips?
I'll ship them to you as soon as payment comes through.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:06 pm
They actually refunded my money unprompted. Not sure if it's because I wasn't using it or because they didn't want to recognize protonmail for validation.
Nah, that was after you posted the pic of yourself :P
Yeah maybe they felt sorry for me :shrug:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:46 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:09 pm
TheReal_ND wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:06 pm
They actually refunded my money unprompted. Not sure if it's because I wasn't using it or because they didn't want to recognize protonmail for validation.
Nah, that was after you posted the pic of yourself :P
Yeah maybe they felt sorry for me :shrug:
you need to find an ultra conservative God fearing woman anyways

you're not going to find that on dating site

you're better off going to church

Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:59 am
TheReal_ND wrote: