Requirements to be a Good Soldier

Smitty-48

Re: Requirements to be a Good Soldier

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Thing was, in the military, the orders were under mission command, so the orders I would receive, were simply the commanders intent, but it was left up to me to plan and execute my portion of the work, in terms of the formation I was in command of, as I saw fit, as per doctrine and training, so it wasn't actually a case, where they were telling me what to do and how to do it, beyond a general outline of a larger operation.

That was pretty much the best part of the military, as unlike civilian work, they weren't actually micro managers, quite the opposite in fact. They would basically throw a problem at you, tell you to figure out how to solve it, and then report back to them when you had that problem solved, so they can give you another problem to solve, and so on and so forth.

By definition, a robot carries out menial tasks, but I didn't find the taskings to be menial at all, it was actually very dynamic, while constantly adapting on the fly, pretty much calling your own shots most of the time, there was far more free reign in the military than there is in civilian life. The hardest part of leaving the military, is having to put up with the civilian automatons who don't think for themselves.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:22 pm

Smitty lived in an idyllic soldier's world, lots of romance I'm not prepared to declare untrue but which rings of poetic license. However, my own life seems implausible from the pov of an outside observer, and Smitty is consistent in his descriptions, so I will take his word for it for his particular enlistment & posting. Smitty's military service was indeed remarkable. Not sociopath.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Well, it was a team of elite professionals, who, even if they were being dicks sometimes, knew what they were doing, and expected you to know what you were doing, and relied on you to do it, without them looking over your shoulder and telling you how to suck eggs. Other than running your own business, I don't know of many places where you can find that in the civilian workforce, some maybe, but it's pretty rare.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:52 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Smitty lived in an idyllic soldier's world, lots of romance I'm not prepared to declare untrue but which rings of poetic license. However, my own life seems implausible from the pov of an outside observer, and Smitty is consistent in his descriptions, so I will take his word for it for his particular enlistment & posting. Smitty's military service was indeed remarkable. Not sociopath.
I hope you don't think I'm taking poetic license when I bragged about fingerbanging that Waffle House waitress on my 30th birthday. I had never seen a vagina in person before that time so I was unsure of myself and accidentally slipped a pinkie in her asshole. By this time my basketball shorts were a few inches shorter if you catch my drift, and they were sticky within fifteen seconds. I blew my load, but not before giving this broad the time of her life. I've never been with a girl in real life Martin, but when I'm joking with the guys you need to back me up on this and make them think we are out banging random women left and right, because all I have is my reputation. Can I count on you for that at least?

This lady wasn't a day older than 40, so she was revving her pussy up and just begging for it. She purred like a kitten when I ran my index finger along her pubic region.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's not even about that chivalry stuff that was going on in WW1, if that ever even happened. Air warfare is fatalistic. If your number is up, you are done. The whole thing is like an industry pumping out sorties. We actually call it sortie production. Everything has to work together from the unit to the wing, and even beyond with all the support and other wings operating in a theater. Without trust, none of that is possible. A sociopath has no place there.

Sociopaths, psycopaths, and every form of biological "alpha" have no place in a modern military or even in a civilization of any kind. Civilization is the antithesis of the alpha, which is why alphas becomes criminals for the most part (or, at best, businessmen who lie and cheat but within the law). I don't think anybody in this forum is an alpha. An alpha wouldn't even bother with something like this.
I guess I'm the exception. Not that I'm calling myself an alpha, because a true alpha does not need to label himself as such. But if you were to call my Tae Kwon Do instructor he would readily label me an alpha. Even if he didn't, I wouldn't lose any sleep. An alpha does not concern himself with gossip and labels given to him by men of inferior caliber. I'm not sure that you would even want to call my Tae Kwon Do instructor because he is a busy man and would probably cuss you out for wasting his time on such an obvious question. "Daralon? That guy was a bigtime alpha. Shit, we had to adjust the greek alphabet to better suit his soaring alpha male status, and he didn't even want us to do that because he already was good with the Greek community from chugging all those beers at the Delta Oopsilon party when we had to pump his stomach. He even banged an ER nurse while the tummy pump took place. That guy Daralon is not to be fucked with. You would be best off leaving him alone and not questioning his judgment because he's my boy and I wish that all my students were as good at martial arts and pounding pussy as he was!" Please note that I am not the one saying this stuff or offering self-congratulatory posting. This is how the conversation would go down if you called the dojo that I used to throw roundhouse kicks around at. My instructor even gave me props for adhering to the strict Ronin code of honor dating back to the early 20th century.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:08 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's not even about that chivalry stuff that was going on in WW1, if that ever even happened. Air warfare is fatalistic. If your number is up, you are done. The whole thing is like an industry pumping out sorties. We actually call it sortie production. Everything has to work together from the unit to the wing, and even beyond with all the support and other wings operating in a theater. Without trust, none of that is possible. A sociopath has no place there.

Sociopaths, psycopaths, and every form of biological "alpha" have no place in a modern military or even in a civilization of any kind. Civilization is the antithesis of the alpha, which is why alphas becomes criminals for the most part (or, at best, businessmen who lie and cheat but within the law). I don't think anybody in this forum is an alpha. An alpha wouldn't even bother with something like this.
You guys and I see Alphas very differently.

The best Alphas are natural born leaders, they automatically command a room regardless of rank. They often color outside the lines, but keep the leaders intent in mind and always complete the mission.

I've had the privilege of know 2 natural born leaders in my life. Their charisma and ability to dominate a room without trying is amazing.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:50 am

The thing that's really great about the army, is the doctrine of just taking charge in any situation, mission command, take the initiative, it's not about rank, it's not about seniority, if you know what to do, and nobody is doing it, you just starting doing it and telling people what to do, and they reward that, that's how you get promoted.

When you're in command, and one of your subordinates starts doing that, that's when you know you've trained him right. There's no egos, all that matters is the mission, it's much easier to rein somebody in than it is to get them to take charge, so when they take charge, you just support them, so long as they're on mission, it's all good.

There are no good soldiers, only good units, doesn't matter how good you are if you're surrounded by a clusterfuck, all the pride we took in our work, was about the unit, if the unit was a shambles, there was nothing to be proud about. So there was no patting yourself on the back for being a good soldier, you're only as good as your slowest man, the only way to be good, was to get everybody moving fast.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:48 pm

We obviously travel in different circles. It’s what makes posting here interesting.

p.s. Familiarity does breed contempt.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:52 pm

Well, you can make all sorts of technological weapons, robots, whatever, but that is actually quite easy for the adversary to simply copy or render irrelevant by changing tactics, resulting in a stalemate at best. The thing that is much more difficult for the adversary to conquer, is your esprit de corps, ultimately, all warfare is a contest of human will, the technological weapon systems are not all that significant, diminishing returns very quickly, then all you have to fall back on, is the strength of your collective will.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm

It’s almost impossible to do anything, so rather than fail, people declare that personal accomplishments have no value and it’s all about the collective. I just keep doing things.