Want Cheaper Healthcare?

Martin Hash

Re: Want Cheaper Healthcare?

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:27 pm

If people think sniffing a camel’s butt cures cancer, fine, but make the person who told you to do that buy high-priced insurance too, not just real doctors.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:31 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Palliative care is the end-of-life. Don’t need doctors, just need someone’s hand to hold and morphine.
What do you call medical care that is solely aimed at pain relief rather than healing? Is there such a term other than 'pain management'?
Palliative is at the end but now that I think about it, I have heard nurses use it like you’re describing, non-Terminal Illness.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:35 pm

An obstetrician pays over $100K/year for Liability insurance in most places, and $250K in some. Get rid of that shit.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Martin Hash wrote:An obstetrician pays over $100K/year in most places, and $250K in some. Get rid of that shit.
I deleted once I realized you were talking about liability insurance not medical. Yeah, that’s fine. I imagine most alternative medicine practitioners would have a “results not guaranteed clause so I’m not sure why they’d need insurance, but they could get general liability or something I guess.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Martin Hash wrote:If malpractice was serious, there would be no “alternative medicine.” No acupuncture, no chiropractic, no naturopathy, no massage or aroma therapy, none of the woo no one is held accountable for.

Nailed it. The amount of money getting bilked out of consumers with this fake medicine vastly outweighs malpractice of the accidental nature.

There is also one where these people are selling little vials of water that supposedly cure cancer. I shit you not. I can't remember what it is called, but they claim to take a poison and then constantly dilute it in water to capture some kind of essence that cures you. But the end result is just water.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Palliative care is the end-of-life. Don’t need doctors, just need someone’s hand to hold and morphine.
What do you call medical care that is solely aimed at pain relief rather than healing? Is there such a term other than 'pain management'?
Palliative is at the end but now that I think about it, I have heard nurses use it like you’re describing, non-Terminal Illness.
People often go to the 'practitioners' because they're desperate for relief. Separating doctors from practitioners and making the roles clear sounds like a good idea. It would keep nonmedical people from peddling snake oil as a cure too. If someone goes to a chiropractor, she'd know that it's not a medical treatment but simply like a massage - something to make you feel better.
:royalty-queen:

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:If malpractice was serious, there would be no “alternative medicine.” No acupuncture, no chiropractic, no naturopathy, no massage or aroma therapy, none of the woo no one is held accountable for.

Nailed it. The amount of money getting bilked out of consumers with this fake medicine vastly outweighs malpractice of the accidental nature.

There is also one where these people are selling little vials of water that supposedly cure cancer. I shit you not. I can't remember what it is called, but they claim to take a poison and then constantly dilute it in water to capture some kind of essence that cures you. But the end result is just water.
Homeopathy.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:45 pm

MilSpecs wrote:

Most pain clinic doctors in my experience have been rheumatologists or neurologists. The two often work together to treat a patient as well.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:47 pm

What's your factual basis for those two sentences?

Follow-up question: Should free people be able to chose and pay for palliative care if they want it?

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm

They can do what they want. Like I said, there should be no liability.