Trump's Positives So Far:

Smitty-48

Re: Trump's Positives So Far:

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:22 pm

I have nothing against gentrification, bring it on, if they can clean it up, Mott Haven is perfectly situated vis a vis Manhattan, which is why the developers are moving in. You cross the Harlem from there, right on to FDR drive, and there's three subway stations in Mott Haven.

I'd get in early, because it's going to be very expensive in there soon, it's a nice location, if they can gentrify it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Well like I said, back in 70's, when they said "the Bronx is burning", Mott Haven was pretty much the worst of the worst, and now they are building luxury condominium complexes and gourmet restaurants around there, can't get more gentrification than luxury hipsters living in Mott Haven.
I don't know that neighborhood, other than some of the bordering neighborhoods.
:royalty-queen:

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:36 pm

MilSpecs wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Well like I said, back in 70's, when they said "the Bronx is burning", Mott Haven was pretty much the worst of the worst, and now they are building luxury condominium complexes and gourmet restaurants around there, can't get more gentrification than luxury hipsters living in Mott Haven.
I don't know that neighborhood, other than some of the bordering neighborhoods.
It's right at the tip of the South Bronx, right across the Harlem from Manhattan and Randall's Island.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:42 pm

I worked Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx just a couple years ago. Walked north through Harlem across the river, south of Yankee stadium.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:45 pm

This is due south of Yankee Stadium, when I was a kid and we went to NYC in the 70's, that was pretty much the worst neighborhood in the city, where East Harlem met the South Bronx, but if you google it now, all that comes up in the images, is condos, condos, condos.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:53 pm

You remember the movie Fort Apache The Bronx?

OK, so "Fort Apache" is the NYPD precinct at 1086 Simpson Street; that's just north of Mott Haven, the infamous 41st Precinct, South Bronx.

If you trace a triangle from Yankee Stadium, to Fort Apache, and down to Mott Haven, that was the roughest area of NYC, when I was growing up.

I was there, at the time, my dad took me to Yankee Stadium for a ballgame, and then we walked around the South Bronx, because he wanted to see what it was like. It was definitely rough by Toronto standards, but it wasn't Mogadishu. If you hung around there long enough, after dark, you'd probably run into some trouble, but nobody bothered us walking around in daylight.
Nec Aspera Terrent

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:You remember the movie Fort Apache The Bronx?

OK, so "Fort Apache" is the NYPD precinct at 1086 Simpson Street; that's just north of Mott Haven, the infamous 41st Precinct, South Bronx.

If you trace a triangle from Yankee Stadium, to Fort Apache, and down to Mott Haven, that was the roughest area of NYC, when I was growing up.
OK, I'm familiar with the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium, but barely. I'm more familiar with the neighborhoods from Fordham to Morris Park and going over to Castle Hill. Even so they weren't my stomping grounds. It was more like I had reason to go there on occasion. I was much more familiar with the neighborhoods going down Broadway (the 1 and A trains). I used to live on Van Cortlandt Park.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I worked Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx just a couple years ago. Walked north through Harlem across the river, south of Yankee stadium.
Weren't you also at Montefiore?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:26 pm

MilSpecs wrote:

OK, I'm familiar with the neighborhood around Yankee Stadium, but barely. I'm more familiar with the neighborhoods from Fordham to Morris Park and going over to Castle Hill. Even so they weren't my stomping grounds. It was more like I had reason to go there on occasion. I was much more familiar with the neighborhoods going down Broadway (the 1 and A trains). I used to live on Van Cortlandt Park.
Morris Park, that's on the other side of the zoo, but if you walk from Yankee Stadium over to Grand Concourse, and just walk south from there, you hit Mott Haven down around the Deegan Expressway, south of 149th, Mott Haven is basically the waterfront district of the South Bronx, that's where they are putting up a bunch of luxury condo towers now.
Nec Aspera Terrent

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:

Morris Park, that's on the other side of the zoo, but if you walk from Yankee Stadium over to Grand Concourse, and just walk south from there, you hit Mott Haven down around the Deegan Expressway, south of 149th, Mott Haven is basically the waterfront district of the South Bronx, that's where they are putting up a bunch of luxury condo towers now.
I know the Grand Concourse but mostly just to drive through. Wow, that's pretty amazing that area is gentrifying (although I shouldn't be surprised - I never would have thought Harlem would gentrify as a kid).

About that area around the zoo, many years ago there was a luxury doorman highrise there with razor wire all around the building. That was not a good neighborhood and yet rich people.