What is “Good” Art?

doc_loliday

Re: What is “Good” Art?

Post by doc_loliday » Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 am
doc_loliday wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:08 am
Inspiration isn't muse though. There's plenty of bands that are "good", you listen to them, clearly they're talented musicians, they're tight, but yet, they suck. Obviously, its subjective, but we've all heard terrible lyrics, some people have a natural talent for a way with words, and speaking to your soul.
but when you also suck, you are more forgiving

it's hard just to get to sucking, most people don't put themselves out there at all

reason being they are afraid people will say that they suck
For sure, and practice helps you get in touch with that. Great bands start as sucky bands. But some people just never get past the suck; great musicians, sucky songs.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:13 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:10 am
doc_loliday wrote:
Inspiration isn't muse though. There's plenty of bands that are "good", you listen to them, clearly they're talented musicians, they're tight, but yet, they suck. Obviously, its subjective, but we've all heard terrible lyrics, some people have a natural talent for a way with words, and speaking to your soul.
but when you also suck, you are more forgiving

it's hard just to get to sucking, most people don't put themselves out there at all

reason being they are afraid people will say that they suck
For sure, and practice helps you get in touch with that. Great bands start as sucky bands. But some people just never get past the suck; great musicians, sucky songs.
you have to expose yourself

it's like being a Section Commander, that was an art

you can't kid the troops, don't even try, as me pappy used to say

you are exposed, you are on parade, they can see everything, there's nowhere to hide

they see your bad days, they see your good days, then they take it on the merits

the main thing is, you are leading from the front, so they will follow
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

Both my parents are great musicians. My mom is a technically a fantastic piano player. She's a music teacher and has played in concerts her whole life. She can play very challenging songs, but is nothing without sheet music and memorization. My dad is pretty good in that department, but can play anything he hears in his head and can improvise on the fly and write little songs instantly. I have more of my mom's talents, despite wanting my dads. I've asked my dad what's the secret. He says, I don't know I hear a tune or a song or some lyrics in my head and it just happens. What the hell man, not fair.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:12 am
C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 am

I love both these artists and images as they raise emotions in me, they put me in a time and place that are familiar to me and they represent who we are as a people.

I don't get any of that when I look at the Mona Lisa.
In all fairness to the Mona Lisa, it is a little much to expect it to represent America as well as Rockwell.

As for snobs and illustrations - plenty of snobs love Gustave Dore. Illustration is worthy of respect.
Art should make you feel something............... No ?

I'm personally more moved by Lascaux Cave Paintings than I am the Mona Lisa. I have nothing in common with her, I have no reference, but I'm a hunter, and I can put myself into the scene of that bison Auroch hunt 10,000 years ago, and how the meat was processed, appreciated and the stories that were told around that campfire.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 am

doc_loliday wrote:
I'm still waiting on the Nickelback renaissance. They are a tight band with perfectly crafted rock/pop tunes that speak directly to the human experience. :snooty:

Also, not for nothing, but James Hetfield's lyrics are embarrassingly bad - but Metallica is a good band, and the way Hetfield performs the lyrics make them work in the context of a Metallica song. Of course, Metallica kind of lost me with the black album, so he might have improved since he was still pretty much a kid when they did Kill 'em All through ...And Justice for All.

Good poetry makes for terrible song lyrics, and good song lyrics are often bad poems.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 am

you are exposed, you are on parade, they can see everything, there's nowhere to hide

they see your bad days, they see your good days, then they take it on the merits

I think there are a lot of creative people that never become artists because they don't expose themselves for sure.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am
C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 am

I love both these artists and images as they raise emotions in me, they put me in a time and place that are familiar to me and they represent who we are as a people.

I don't get any of that when I look at the Mona Lisa.
In all fairness to the Mona Lisa, it is a little much to expect it to represent America as well as Rockwell.

As for snobs and illustrations - plenty of snobs love Gustave Dore. Illustration is worthy of respect.

I'm personally more moved by Lascaux Cave Paintings than I am the Mona Lisa. I have nothing in common with her, I have no reference, but I'm a hunter, and I can put myself into the scene of that bison Auroch hunt 10,000 years ago, and how the meat was processed, appreciated and the stories that were told around that campfire.
That is sort of the crux of it. Any artist is trying to create certain qualia for the consumer - and the more skilled you are, the easier that gets. But, sometimes there is shit you just can't fix.

I am not moved by reading Tolstoy in Russian because I do not understand Russian. Can't really blame Tolstoy's craft for that.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:28 am

doc_loliday wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:22 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:18 am

I think there are a lot of creative people that never become artists because they don't expose themselves for sure.
this is why writing a sex scene is the hardest thing

if you try to fake it, it will become Harlequin Romance or Penthouse Letters

the only way to do it, is to write about the sex you are having, you have expose your inner monologue about that
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 03, 2021 10:32 am

Mon May 03, 2021 10:25 am
C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 10:21 am

That is sort of the crux of it. Any artist is trying to create certain qualia for the consumer - and the more skilled you are, the easier that gets. But, sometimes there is shit you just can't fix.

I am not moved by reading Tolstoy in Russian because I do not understand Russian. Can't really blame Tolstoy's craft for that.
Right On.

Eye of the beholder.
And that circles right back to Marty's OP. There is a difference between good art and famous art.

Here's one of the greatest images ever created, it's clearly famous, and I'd definitely call it great art.

Love it or hate it, you know what it is and it likely stirs feelings in you, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't know what it is.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am

the reason panties are coming down soon as the girl sees your art studio is quite simple

that is the vulnerable you, your inner monologue, you are exposing your inner self

then the girl has trust, she will show you her pussy then, quid pro quo

Nec Aspera Terrent