Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:37 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm
Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am
In general, I trust snobs and experts
In general, I'm skeptical of experts.

Experts typically are typically whores, bought and paid by someone to push a narrative.............. see the WMDs in Iraq, Libyan consulate attack over a video, or Assad gassing his own people for further research on what the experts have to say.
A pretty deceptive way to cut what I said - I thought you were better than that. :snooty:
depends what you are trying to communicate

home decor is communicating, fashion is communicating, these are examples where the code is important

you are communicating about yourself, in a specific language

it's like calligraphy or runes, it's all about forms

it's not high art, it's bourgeois, but it has its place
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Re: What is “Good” Art?

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am
In general, I trust snobs and experts

Experts typically are typically whores, bought and paid by someone to push a narrative.............. see the WMDs in Iraq, Libyan consulate attack over a video, or Assad gassing his own people for further research on what the experts have to say.
A pretty deceptive way to cut what I said - I thought you were better than that. :snooty:
I don't see that as deceptive. You like to trust experts, I don't. A key reason we disagree so often, but we are both mature enough to leave it good natured, I think we both enjoy the discussions, and I'm certainly going to lay out examples of why I take my position. I suspect you will do the same.

Elites always have, and will have experts at the ready to push their agendas and there are quid pro quos. The most recent example is Fauci, that @#$% expert has had every position under the sun on bat aids, he's clearly working an agenda, he's not alone. You can go into court any day of the week and experts from both sides will testify the same facts mean different things................... the title expert is a paid position, and the expert does what he's getting paid to do. Just the way of things.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

Mon May 03, 2021 12:44 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm

Now I know why you won't listen to me, I'm neither a snob nor an Elite.
Just one good reason among many. :twisted:
No wonder you like this world. Obviously, you would be my enemy IRL.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm

diverting conversations about art into state political paradigms is totalitarianism

this is what they do here in Canada, there can be no art which is not about the state

this has now spread to America, the censorship is about ensuring that no art is produced, just politics

paralysis by analysis
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:48 pm
C-Mag wrote:

I don't see that as deceptive. You like to trust experts, I don't. A key reason we disagree so often, but we are both mature enough to leave it good natured, I think we both enjoy the discussions, and I'm certainly going to lay out examples of why I take my position. I suspect you will do the same.

Elites always have, and will have experts at the ready to push their agendas and there are quid pro quos. The most recent example is Fauci, that @#$% expert has had every position under the sun on bat aids, he's clearly working an agenda, he's not alone. You can go into court any day of the week and experts from both sides will testify the same facts mean different things................... the title expert is a paid position, and the expert does what he's getting paid to do. Just the way of things.
Nothing is perfect. Because of that, it is incredibly easy to tear anything down by focusing narrowly on its imperfections. It is much more difficult to really understand something and appreciate it, and to be able to describe what you like in a clear way that someone else can understand and appreciate. This is why I trust snobs and experts (when it comes to art) that are describing what is good or valuable in a piece of art. I pretty much ignore negative criticisms of art from expert and layman alike (unless they are funny.)

Expanding that premise beyond art expertise, when I disagree with an expert in any field I try to discover what, if anything, I'm missing that they understand. It is more a healthy skepticism of my own intuitions than a blanket trust of experts.

And, the same perfection rubric applies - it is always easier to get something wrong than it is to get it right. I am willing to extend charity to experts who screw up and not assume there is some nefarious motive behind human failures - human failure is just more common than legitimate villainy.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:51 pm
Mon May 03, 2021 12:44 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:39 pm

Now I know why you won't listen to me, I'm neither a snob nor an Elite.
Just one good reason among many. :twisted:
No wonder you like this world. Obviously, you would be my enemy IRL.
I like existing, and the world is where I do that - so I'm okay with the world.

I don't have a lot of enemies, IRL - but since I hear it is by the quality of his enemies that you should judge a man's character, I'd be honored if you were one of them.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm

Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm
And, the same perfection rubric applies - it is always easier to get something wrong than it is to get it right. I am willing to extend charity to experts who screw up and not assume there is some nefarious motive behind human failures - human failure is just more common than legitimate villainy.
the literay agent experts don't say that my writing is too "hot" or whatever

they basically say it just doesn't comport with any of the political agendas

art in Canada is a state run enterprise, it's a guild, everything is made by a committee

hence why most stuff made in Canada is garbage, like Anne of Green Gables uber alles
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
diverting conversations about art into state political paradigms is totalitarianism

this is what they do here in Canada, there can be no art which is not about the state

this has now spread to America, the censorship is about ensuring that no art is produced, just politics

paralysis by analysis
I admit it's not hockey, but I work with the tools I have :P
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:09 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

paralysis by analysis
I admit it's not hockey, but I work with the tools I have :P
I have no beef with thread jacking

I'm simply illustrating how art works in Canada

everything has to be a political agenda

so for example, under the current regime, all art in Canada has to be Woke
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon May 03, 2021 1:11 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:05 pm
Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm
the literay agent experts don't say that my writing is too "hot" or whatever

they basically say it just doesn't comport with any of the political agendas

art in Canada is a state run enterprise, it's a guild, everything is made by a committee

hence why most stuff made in Canada is garbage, like Anne of Green Gables uber alles
Politically motivated criticism or praise of any art is always suspect. I love George Orwell, but I think he was wrong in his belief that all art was propaganda.

It is what makes Stalinist Russian art criticism very interesting, though. Everything had a political valence. If you were too experimental, that was 'formalism' and forbidden since it wasn't accessible to the proletariat. But, great Russian artists adapted to these strictures in very clever ways, and there was always 'composing for the drawer' and underground production.

Also - what is wrong with Anne of Green Gables? Its charmingly Fascist - like D.H. Lawrence.
HAIL!

-Hwen