Mindfulness

DrYouth

Re: Mindfulness

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:09 am
We never had that problem: my daughter was 35 and still lived at home.
Well you seem to have enough rooms in your chateaux, so I imagine this isn't much of a problem.

We aren't interested in having gown ups living with us indefinitely... I think it would get a bit tight... especially once significant others come into the picture...

Better to have some rebellion and individuation... motivation to leave the nest.... choose and pay for your own décor.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm

The whole "children leaving the nest" thing sounds fucking horrible, when you have little kids that adore you.
I guess that's why the whole teenager thing happens, eh?
Get those parents worn out and jaded.

Man ... I dunno.
I like this life.
Think I'll just stay here indefinitely, in spite of time and nature.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:47 pm

My oldest son moved back in after 10 years of living on his own and stayed for 6 years before his new bride forced him to move. Not a fair comparison with you guys though because the house is big and Gwynne & I were gone for a decade.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Now we’re setting up for grandkids; I turned the Media Room into LEGO Room by taking out the carpet and putting in hardwood... And LEGOs.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:49 pm
Now we’re setting up for grandkids; I turned the Media Room into LEGO Room by taking out the carpet and putting in hardwood... And LEGOs.
Mega blocks are better Martin. I will probably not speak to you again unless you agree with me on this right now. I'm serious. Lego's suck and they hurt your feet if you step on them. MB's are made out of a more high quality material and it shows.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 pm

You’re right; Mega Blocks. LEGOs come when they’re older, and crashing vehicles together to see which is strongest.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:15 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm
The whole "children leaving the nest" thing sounds fucking horrible, when you have little kids that adore you.

Man ... I dunno.
I like this life.
They stop being cute... words like lazy, self centred and entitled start coming to mind more often...

The school system infects them with the incredible malaise that exists out there.

They lash out where it is safe to lash out....

Sadly that is at the most vulnerable link... in our house that's their loving Mom.

She's a fragile blossom... all love and lacking in resilience to endure under the beating.

I truly believe we will look back on this stage and laugh and tell stories about it...

For the moment... it's a grim stretch...
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:15 pm

They stop being cute... words like lazy, self centred and entitled start coming to mind more often...

The school system infects them with the incredible malaise that exists out there.

Sadly that is at the most vulnerable link... in our house that's their loving Mom.

She's a fragile blossom... all love and lacking in resilience to endure under the beating.

I truly believe we will look back on this stage and laugh and tell stories about it...

You are not a passenger, a bystander, nor a victim

You are the patriarch

You have to lead them to where you need them to be

Not grim

Bright light, bright light, follow me

this is war

I'm the doctor now

You listen me, you look good, feel good, shoot good, roundeye

then everybody will follow you where you need them to be, relaxed in the saddle for operations

it's a power vacuum, no power of positivity, no bright light, and you are the void
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:26 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:16 pm
DrYouth wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:07 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:59 pm
I practiced meditation for a little over a year.
Not that new age crap, but the REAL meditation.
You know - Headspace ... from the Apple store.

It was alright, but I didn't reap the many benefits that it seemed to bestow upon others.
I'm still the same jerk I was.
And I was mindful of that before spending 10 mins a day breathing about it.
How are you all holding up in the age of COVID?
Home schooling?
I got suspended from homeschooling duties after setting up my daughters school desk in the garage. We had to provide a picture of her learning environment and label the items in the picture as an assignment.

Apparently my man-garage, and the manly articles therein, might not reflect the community expectations of the accommodations befitting one the top realtors in the area (my wife).

"But it's real. It's where we really live. It's what is really in the garage."

"Her classmates all have carpeted rooms. It can make things awkward for her among her peers, looking like she has to work from a dim and grimy place. She can use my office It's clean. There aren't any spiders."

Thus ended my tenure as home-schooler.
:lol:
:lol:

She was right tho

It's not actually operations, it's parade square
Nec Aspera Terrent

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 am

DrYouth wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:15 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Man ... I dunno.
I like this life.

I think it's a feature, not a bug. It's to avoid inbreeding. The prefrontal cortex of the brain is the last part to mature. That is the engine for consequence analysis, moderating social behavior and empathy. So a teenager is an adult except for those things.
I'm going through the same thing with my kids. If we had kept the relation we had when they were small they would never move out. Now I'm looking forwards to see the back of them. It's sad but all things shall pass. Next stop, grandchildren. I'm going to spoil the shit out of them.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck