Mindfulness

Martin Hash

Mindfulness

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:03 am

There's a lot of words out there that come from Metaphysics, the opposite of physics, and mostly I ignore them; one, however, "mindfulness," has come up a bunch of times: "Mindfulness is the psychological process of purposely bringing one's attention to experiences occurring in the present moment without judgment, which one develops through the practice of meditation and through other training." - Wiki. I even went to an author's reading at Powell's bookstore about a book called "Mindfulness," which I bought primarily because I usually buy whatever they're signing. I actually read the book, and surprisingly, more than 200 pages later I still had no idea what "mindfulness" was? Apparently, it's veered into the realm of mental illness cures. Yesterday, while listening to a YouTube video about Buddhism, "mindfulness" came up as part of the Eightfold path to Enlightenment, which I also already knew, but the narrator explaining Buddhism, with a succinct example, totally defined the word for me: instead of dwelling & fixating on an embarrassing or traumatic event in your past, think about your life right now.

I guess I never got it before because I'm always thinking about my life 10 minutes from now, not 10 years ago.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Re: Mindfulness

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:18 am

Mindfullness is about now rather than later or before. Most people's thinking dwells on future planning or shit that happened in the past. Mindfullness works really well for chronic pain management. That is how I learned about it.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:14 am

John Vervaeke talks a lot about Mindfulness. Since it's a fad right now there is a lot of charlatans about. I recommend listening to his entire series but here he really gets into Mindfulness.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm

I like Vervaeke's "having" mode vs "being" mode distinction and the Buddha story as a metaphor for the same.

Sam Harris has a lot of interesting podcasts on this topic...

My biggest personal shifts came from the practice of Somatic Experiencing which is essentially the application of mindfulness to body sensation which allows the safe unwinding of stress responses in the body that have accumulated over a lifetime.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 am

DrYouth wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:09 pm
I like Vervaeke's "having" mode vs "being" mode distinction and the Buddha story as a metaphor for the same.

Sam Harris has a lot of interesting podcasts on this topic...

My biggest personal shifts came from the practice of Somatic Experiencing which is essentially the application of mindfulness to body sensation which allows the safe unwinding of stress responses in the body that have accumulated over a lifetime.
If you don't mind me asking, how is your marriage/personal life doing lately man? I haven't heard from you in a minute. I know you told us that you had a falling out with your wife but you were trying to mend it. I hope that all worked out and you are able to see your kids. Glad to see you are back!
Shikata ga nai

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:50 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 am
If you don't mind me asking, how is your marriage/personal life doing lately man? I haven't heard from you in a minute. I know you told us that you had a falling out with your wife but you were trying to mend it. I hope that all worked out and you are able to see your kids. Glad to see you are back!
Well...

You seem like a reliable chap.

:twisted:
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:59 pm

I practiced meditation for a little over a year.
Not that new age crap, but the REAL meditation.
You know - Headspace ... from the Apple store.

It was alright, but I didn't reap the many benefits that it seemed to bestow upon others.
I'm still the same jerk I was.
And I was mindful of that before spending 10 mins a day breathing about it.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:14 pm

I meditate while mowing the lawn. Sometimes I meditate while driving which is why I don’t drive anymore. (For real.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:50 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 am
Well...

You seem like a reliable chap.

:twisted:
If that sounded dickheadish my bad man. It was not my intention. You made a thread on the forum discussing this with us all awhile back, but you said things were getting better. I was just checking in to see how you were holding up. This particular thread was a poor place to post this, which I see now, but it is the first place I've seen activity from you in a coon's age.

How are things in the Great White North?
Shikata ga nai

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:04 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 pm
If that sounded dickheadish my bad man. It was not my intention. You made a thread on the forum discussing this with us all awhile back, but you said things were getting better. I was just checking in to see how you were holding up. This particular thread was a poor place to post this, which I see now, but it is the first place I've seen activity from you in a coon's age.

How are things in the Great White North?
Ok...

Things are good.
My wife and had some difficult times... but we are stronger than ever.
The kids are teens now... and they are not loving being homebound with online school and social distancing...
So that has made life harder.

My daughter is being a real bitch to my wife right now... because she is a lonely and insecure teenager... so I get it...
But it's hard on the wife... She's holding up all right all things considered.

That's about it...

What's up with you HeyDay?