StCapps wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 am
*yip*

brewster

Re: We’re Already in a Depression

Post by brewster » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:27 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:53 am
Would be better to just colonize the Moon. The cost of WW2 in current dollars is probably north of 6 trillion. Add to that the New Deal shit that never really did that much aside from producing works of art and literature like Grapes of Wrath. Most likely, the federal government spent on the order of 10-12 trillion dollars in current dollars to get us out of the Great Depression.

I could build a space colony with that. It doesn't matter how you spend it, really. Might as well spend it on shit that pays dividends, though..

Add to that asteroid mining so you can dump the metals onto your lunar colony, refine them, and use that to build ships outside the bottom of Earth's gravity well. Imagine building everything with gold, aluminum, and chrome because it's cheaper than plastic. LOL
I agree, but that sounds an awful lot like Keynesianism. I too would rather put resources into the future than a billionaire's pocket or building boondoggle, pork barrel weapon systems.

As for Hash's "Depression", the word has a specific, technical, economic meaning, and the current situation doesn't fit it. Perhaps we need new words for the systemic problems of our economy, like the way "stagflation" was coined in the 70s. But I can say that all his symptoms of our ailing unbalanced economy can be traced to the 70's also and the toxic NeoCon ideas of "shareholder value uber alles" and "supply side economics" leading to ever more wealth concentration.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 am

brewster wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:27 am
Would be better to just colonize the Moon. The cost of WW2 in current dollars is probably north of 6 trillion. Add to that the New Deal shit that never really did that much aside from producing works of art and literature like Grapes of Wrath. Most likely, the federal government spent on the order of 10-12 trillion dollars in current dollars to get us out of the Great Depression.

I could build a space colony with that. It doesn't matter how you spend it, really. Might as well spend it on shit that pays dividends, though..

Add to that asteroid mining so you can dump the metals onto your lunar colony, refine them, and use that to build ships outside the bottom of Earth's gravity well. Imagine building everything with gold, aluminum, and chrome because it's cheaper than plastic. LOL
I agree, but that sounds an awful lot like Keynesianism. I too would rather put resources into the future than a billionaire's pocket or building boondoggle, pork barrel weapon systems.

As for Hash's "Depression", the word has a specific, technical, economic meaning, and the current situation doesn't fit it. Perhaps we need new words for the systemic problems of our economy, like the way "stagflation" was coined in the 70s. But I can say that all his symptoms of our ailing unbalanced economy can be traced to the 70's also and the toxic NeoCon ideas of "shareholder value uber alles" and "supply side economics" leading to ever more wealth concentration.
You'd rather the poor were poorer, provided the rich were less rich. Maggie Thatcher Knows.

Fuck your gap talk. Everyone being better off is preferable to everyone being worse off with less income inequality.
*yip*

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:49 pm

StCapps wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 am
Everyone being better off is preferable to everyone being worse off with less income inequality.
If that were true, the middle class would not be exactly where it was 40 years ago.

We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:15 pm

What happened in 1980?

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:21 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:15 pm
What happened in 1980?
Well child, a fellow named Reagan was elected President and the Neocon's who worshiped Friedman and Laffer ran Washington.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:37 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:27 am

Why would I care if we spend out way our of another depression? It worked last time. I just don't want to do it in a way that involves millions of people getting killed.

What is going on now is not strictly a depression, but it's likely worse. Andrew Yang has a point about what is coming our way very soon.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:58 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:54 pm
But if you don't have monetary expansion, you can't pay for the welfare state.

If you restrict the money supply, only the rich have money.
Nec Aspera Terrent

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:19 pm

seems like the case being made in here is that with our expansionist monetary policy, only the rich have money anyway