Me or Bill Gates?

Martin Hash

Me or Bill Gates?

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:55 am

I had an interesting FB debate where someone used Bill Gates as an example of a "wise" person. I let it slide but it came back again, and I'm wondering how to respond:

First, let me ask here: who is wiser, me or Bill Gates? Second, who is wiser in the field of computer science, me or Bill Gates?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Re: Me or Bill Gates?

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:55 am
I had an interesting FB debate where someone used Bill Gates as an example of a "wise" person. I let it slide but it came back again, and I'm wondering how to respond:

First, let me ask here: who is wiser, me or Bill Gates? Second, who is wiser in the field of computer science, me or Bill Gates?
Definitely Marty Hash when it comes to life wisdom.

I hear Bill Gates is a control freak tyrant who throws tantrums left and right.

On computer science, I don't know, not my area of expertise.

What are the competing philosophies of computer science?

I'm not aware what the schism is.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:42 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 am
Martin Hash wrote:

Bill Gates made his fortune in Computer Science. I did on part of mine.
Bill Gates became major famous with his Computer Science contribution. I got teeny famous with mine.
Bill Gates ran a major Computer Science company. I was CEO of a very small Computer Science company.
Bill Gates dropped out of school before achieving a Computer Science degree, and has no engineering experience at all. I have a PhD in Computer Science, and 2 Engineering degrees.
Bill Gates is licensed in nothing. I am a licensed Professional Engineer in Computer Science, and have a national engineering license. This requires a lot of expertise & experience across all Computer Science & Engineering areas.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:49 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:42 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:06 am
Martin Hash wrote:

Bill Gates made his fortune in Computer Science. I did on part of mine.
Bill Gates became major famous with his Computer Science contribution. I got teeny famous with mine.
Bill Gates ran a major Computer Science company. I was CEO of a very small Computer Science company.
Bill Gates dropped out of school before achieving a Computer Science degree, and has no engineering experience at all. I have a PhD in Computer Science, and 2 Engineering degrees.
Bill Gates is licensed in nothing. I am a licensed Professional Engineer in Computer Science, and have a national engineering license. This requires a lot of expertise & experience across all Computer Science & Engineering areas.
Does training equal wisdom?

I am the youngest soldier in the history of the Canadian Army to pass the Infantry Section Commander's Course.

I wasn't wise tho. I didn't really gain any wisdom about leading troops, until I actually started doing it for real.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 am

Wisdom is, by definition, someone you take advice from. Many people assume financial success & fame supersede knowledge & experience. R U 1 of those people?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 am
Wisdom is, by definition, someone you take advice from. Many people assume financial success & fame supersede knowledge & experience. R U 1 of those people?
I think it's all random. Who lives, who dies, once you go over the top, you won't see the one that gets you.

The wisest guy in the platoon could get one right between the eyes the moment he stands up.

It's all in the hands of the Hockey Gods, either they give you the bounces or they don't.

Lucktocracy.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am
Martin Hash wrote:
I think it's all random. Who lives, who dies, once you go over the top, you won't see the one that gets you.

The wisest guy in the platoon could get one right between the eyes the moment he stands up.

It's all in the hands of the Hockey Gods, either they give you the bounces or they don't.

Lucktocracy.
So you would take advice from anyone who made it over the top? Those who won the Lucktocracy are the wisest?

If a degree or license provides nothing, or is simple enough that anyone could do it if they just wanted to, then Bill Gates, or any famous rich programmer, should be able to get a license because it would be simple for them?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:13 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:11 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:55 am
Martin Hash wrote:

Lucktocracy.
So you would take advice from anyone who made it over the top? Those who won the Lucktocracy are the wisest?

If a degree or license provides nothing, or is simple enough that anyone could do it if they just wanted to, then Bill Gates, or any famous rich programmer, should be able to get a license because it would be simple for them?
Why go to school when you're already rich enough to do whatever you want anyways?
Nec Aspera Terrent

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:14 pm

I've never met anyone on this forum or otherwise who doesn't equate wealth & fame with wisdom. Fame is the most important ingredient but wealth is a close second. Actual tested knowledge & experience count for nothing in most people's minds. That's why I hesitate to debate the position on a platform like FB.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:16 pm

I'll let the "Bill Gates is wise" position on FB slide, it's a sure loser. This conflation of fame for wisdom exactly defines the state of the world.