Republics

DBTrek

Re: Republics

Post by DBTrek » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Tax exemptions that expire are “tax cuts” up until they expire. The well known game of expiring tax cuts for the middle class is a separate issue from whether or not tax cuts can or cannot increase revenue. They can.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:I seem to remember twice in this thread mentioning the $60 trillion debt since Reaganomics started but no one can read.

"Help the rich get richer and you proles will see more money"

That's Reaganomics in a nutshell.
Dude, do you think that high taxes will fix Reaganomics?

Go smoke another bowl, in a nutshell.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:34 pm

Fife wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:I seem to remember twice in this thread mentioning the $60 trillion debt since Reaganomics started but no one can read.

"Help the rich get richer and you proles will see more money"

That's Reaganomics in a nutshell.
Dude, do you think that high taxes will fix Reaganomics?

Go smoke another bowl, in a nutshell.

In a nutshell: fix the tax system and constrain spending until we no longer have a national debt.

I.e. the Clinton-Gingrich compromise.

I am not a lolberg, so I will pass on your narcotics suggestion. Thanks, anyway.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:35 pm

Also, if you want to increase tax revenues, then stop making it profitable for companies to offshore our jobs only to re-import products made by slaves in China for American markets.

One way to constrain spending is to eliminate ALL welfare for immigrants, illegal or otherwise, and ship them home if they cannot care for themselves.

Don't penalize people who are partially disabled into just sitting on full disability because you just cut most of their disability pension when they work part-time.

Make a flat-rate income tax and match that to the capital gains tax at all times. If the income tax is 20%, then so the fuck should capital gains taxes be 20%.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:38 pm

How does the "Clinton-Gingrich compromise" have anything to do with reduced government spending?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Fife wrote:How does the "Clinton-Gingrich compromise" have anything to do with reduced government spending?

Largest budget surplus and debt paydown in US history. Had we continued with it, we would have been debt-free as a nation by 2012.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Wishful thinking, but I'm game.

Let's leave the dot.com bubble out of the game, and maybe you have a point.

At any rate, my spending plan at the time would have left you guys out in the desert at the time without a steady government job. :wink:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:50 pm

What we could use is a balanced budget amendment that requires the budget each year to be balanced, but in times of national debt, a slight surplus is required and they are required to use the surplus to pay it down.

The only exemption will be a declaration of war or some kind of emergency, and when that happen, all of Congress gets paid at 50% and their families go on the same VA health care that veterans get to save money.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:57 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:What we could use is a balanced budget amendment that requires the budget each year to be balanced, but in times of national debt, a slight surplus is required and they are required to use the surplus to pay it down.

The only exemption will be a declaration of war or some kind of emergency, and when that happen, all of Congress gets paid at 50% and their families go on the same VA health care that veterans get to save money.
A quality start. Baby steps are steps, in the right direction.