Conscientiousness

Martin Hash

Conscientiousness

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Clinical Psychologist Jordan Peterson identifies two inheritable attributes that define a person's ideological outlook: conscientiousness & altruism. The two attributes do not correlate so everyone has a mixture; whichever predominates tends the person to either individualism or collectivism. Conscientious people can survive stranded on a desert island while altruistic people comfort the dying and raise small children. Conscientious people reward merit while altruistic people promote equality.

In a political setting, a conscientious candidate would recognize that it takes money to run a campaign and plan accordingly. Altruistic people complain that rich people have an advantage because they have money while, in general, altruistic people do not. Frankly, I WANT a conscientious person in a position of power over me, and making decisions on my behalf, so I have no intention of giving campaign contributions to anyone.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Martin Hash

Re: Conscientiousness

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:19 am

Altruists don't like the flip side of liberty: people suffering the consequences of their own choices & actions. This makes liberty a hard sell; it's not something a democracy is going to adopt or stand by without a supreme marketing effort and/or indoctrination.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:26 am

I don't believe in altruism ( See: Twain's What is Man) But the sentiments expressed are interesting despite the labels assigned to them.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:31 am

Haumana wrote:I don't believe in altruism ( See: Twain's What is Man) But the sentiments expressed are interesting despite the labels assigned to them.
You mean you're not altruistic, or are you denying its existence?

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

Martin Hash wrote:
Haumana wrote:I don't believe in altruism ( See: Twain's What is Man) But the sentiments expressed are interesting despite the labels assigned to them.
I am denying its existence except for the rarest of circumstances. Humans are self motivated creatures, for the most part. Dig deep enough and one can find the selfish impetus to an action.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:35 am

Altruism is a genetic behavior. What happened somewhere in relatively recent history, in my opinion, is that European people evolved or culturally invented a new form of altruism that many now refer to as pathological altruism. It's a phenomenon one really only sees in white nations. Nobody else behaves in this way.

Even the other mammals engage in reciprocal altruism. That's just genetic behavior. So to is familial altruism. These behaviors have an impact on the survivability and reproduction of one's genes.

It gets controversial when people speak of more generalized altruism in which one sacrifices for their larger group, city, nation, etc. Nicholas Wade makes a good argument for that in Beyond the Dawn.

Most of the left today have taken this to an absurd point. Pathological altruism is placing every other group before your own. It's only white countries that have to be the dumping ground of the world. It's white people who have to be silenced and forced to check their privilege. It's really a mental illness. Nobody else does this. When I speak with people in Asia in particular, they think this is the most ridiculous thing.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:37 am

Haumana wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
I am denying its existence except for the rarest of circumstances. Humans are self motivated creatures, for the most part. Dig deep enough and one can find the selfish impetus to an action.

*Edit: Using this definition as a guide. "the belief in or practice of disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others."

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 am

Altruism is inherent in everyone to some degree. Mother child relationships have a large altruistic component. Sympathy is altruistic. People are driven by altruism to some extent, it is genetic, literally inheritable.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:57 am

Martin Hash wrote:Altruism is inherent in everyone to some degree. Mother child relationships have a large altruistic component. Sympathy is altruistic. People are driven by altruism to some extent, it is genetic, literally inheritable.
Not really. I live next to a mother who uses her kid's money (support of some kind) to buy herself drugs. Sympathy is a public display that allows the individual to show to others that they care and the sorry cousin of empathy. Almost nobody acts with with a "disinterested and selfless concern for the well-being of others." I only say almost to account for the exception to the rule.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 am

I appreciate your anecdote as entertainment but I’m talking clinical science. Scientific Method, all that.