Irrational

Martin Hash

Irrational

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Any choice you make involving self-interest is irrational. Virtually everyone makes choices first then justify them post hoc. The only decisions that you make based on objective data are like when to mow the lawn, or the fastest bus route. Even buying decisions are seriously compromised by advertising. Economics is based on the assumption that people are rational, which is clearly not the case, that’s what makes most economists charlatans, and economic theory bogus.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

StCapps

Re: Irrationality

Post by StCapps » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Any choice you make involving self-interest is irrational. Virtually everyone makes choices first then justify them post hoc. The only decisions that you make based on objective data are like when to mow the lawn, or the fastest bus route. Even buying decisions are seriously compromised by advertising. Economics is based on the assumption that people are rational, which is clearly not the case, that’s what makes most economists charlatans, and economic theory bogus.
Scott Adams is that you? Hash does have fuck you money, it's all starting to make sense now, you're Dilbert.
:P
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:13 pm

StCapps wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Any choice you make involving self-interest is irrational. Virtually everyone makes choices first then justify them post hoc. The only decisions that you make based on objective data are like when to mow the lawn, or the fastest bus route. Even buying decisions are seriously compromised by advertising. Economics is based on the assumption that people are rational, which is clearly not the case, that’s what makes most economists charlatans, and economic theory bogus.
Scott Adams is that you?
Like I'm what Dan Carlin should have been, I'm like Scott Adams should be. He is one of the great philosophers but he doesn't have enough life experience to see the whole picture. Luckily, I'm around to patch the holes.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Scott Adams is that you?
Like I'm what Dan Carlin should have been, I'm like Scott Adams should be. He is one of the great philosophers but he doesn't have enough life experience to see the whole picture. Luckily, I'm around to patch the holes.
Yeah but he's got Coffee with Scott Adams, you need to step your youtube game up my friend.
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm

StCapps wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:
StCapps wrote:Scott Adams is that you?
Yeah but he's got Coffee with Scott Adams, you need to step your youtube game up my friend.
Creepy.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:28 pm

How is an organic organism making decisions based upon prolonging it’s survival and maximizing its comfort irrational?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:29 pm

DBTrek wrote:How is an organic organism making decisions based upon prolonging it’s survival and maximizing its comfort irrational?
I'll program that for you. Something no one denies I'm one of the world's experts in. I'll bet 90% of the time, a person would make a different choice than logic dictates.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm

You speak as if logic is some authority on all issues when, in fact, it's a tool. One can use logic to justify multiple decisions. It depends upon your presuppositions and propositions.

It would be like saying most sculptors don't actually sculpt the figure dictated by the chisel.

The best we can do is hear all the arguments out and decide upon their relative merits.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:32 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
DBTrek wrote:How is an organic organism making decisions based upon prolonging it’s survival and maximizing its comfort irrational?
I'll program that for you. Something no one denies I'm one of the world's experts in. I'll bet 90% of the time, a person would make a different choice than logic dictates.
Funny, that's Scott Adams estimated ratio of rational decision making for humans. I'm onto you Dilbert.
*yip*

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Would your program function off the same knowledge base I use for decision making, or a different one?

People like Ray Dalio have made fortunes running their decision making in parallel with “logic programs” they devised, but that setup is still vulnerable to flawed assumptions and knowledge gaps. That doesn’t indicate irrational decision making so much as a lack of omnipotence.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"