Dark Matter is Ether

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Dark Matter is Ether

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Martin Hash wrote:If E=MC2 (there's some current debate on the issue) then photons have some infinitesimal mass. There's nothing about their speed that prevents this except in the equations that humans made up. And we know that mass affects light...
Nobody is disputing the equation. But you’re ignoring the ‘C2’ portion of it, to suit your idea.

Energy != Photons, though they are a form of energy. You can convert energy into mass, which is what happened during the Big Bang, or you can convert mass into energy with a similar amount of energy.

Those conditions are not likely to repeat, and do not denote some property of particular kinds of mass and energy.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:If E=MC2 (there's some current debate on the issue) then photons have some infinitesimal mass. There's nothing about their speed that prevents this except in the equations that humans made up. And we know that mass affects light...
Nobody is disputing the equation. But you’re ignoring the ‘C2’ portion of it, to suit your idea.

Energy != Photons, though they are a form of energy. You can convert energy into mass, which is what happened during the Big Bang, or you can convert mass into energy with a similar amount of energy.

Those conditions are not likely to repeat, and do not denote some property of particular kinds of mass and energy.
If photons are energy then their mass canNOT equal 0. I don't care if you square the speed-of-light or not.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 pm

No, the mass really equals zero.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:34 pm

It's right there in the equation.

Mass is relative now, right?

Classical mechanics: p = mv

But since the mass is relative, we have to say something like F = m(rel)*v

What is velocity?

That would be C^2 in the conservation of matter and energy equation:

So.. E = m(rel)*C^2

But at rest, the momentum of an electromagnetic wave is zero.

So.. 0 = m(rest) * C

The speed of light is not zero. It's always measured the same. So m(rest) has to be zero..

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:38 pm

The thing is.. dark matter really bugs me. I don't like sloppy solutions to patch up the standard model. Undetectable matter just irks me.

I know that if you allow variation in the speed of light, all this problem goes away. Seems like a more parsimonious solution that we can actually test somehow (maybe with the Voyager probes?).

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:The thing is.. dark matter really bugs me. I don't like sloppy solutions to patch up the standard model. Undetectable matter just irks me.

I know that if you allow variation in the speed of light, all this problem goes away. Seems like a more parsimonious solution that we can actually test somehow (maybe with the Voyager probes?).
We already know that light speed can vary. It can be slowed by dense materials, or heavy gas, but then it resumes its speed upon leaving that material behind.

Light has its own, unique properties that are impossible for mass to duplicate.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:The thing is.. dark matter really bugs me. I don't like sloppy solutions to patch up the standard model. Undetectable matter just irks me.

We already know that light speed can vary. It can be slowed by dense materials, or heavy gas, but then it resumes its speed upon leaving that material behind.

No, I am saying we should test to see if it attenuates over distance. Maybe attenuate is not the right word. I mean.. the constant is not constant, but will appear to drop off over a distance. There are a few such hypotheses to that effect. They get rid of the need for most of the dark matter.

Dark energy is another problem.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

No, I am saying we should test to see if it attenuates over distance. Maybe attenuate is not the right word. I mean.. the constant is not constant, but will appear to drop off over a distance. There are a few such hypotheses to that effect. They get rid of the need for most of the dark matter.

Well, we have incoming signal at all times from the stars. And the more distant, the greater their redshift - longer wavelengths. Astronomers have taken this to mean that all points of the universe are expanding. I think it’s just a property of light over huge distances.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:04 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Well, we have incoming signal at all times from the stars. And the more distant, the greater their redshift - longer wavelengths. Astronomers have taken this to mean that all points of the universe are expanding. I think it’s just a property of light over huge distances.

Wouldn't work. We measure the distance to those stars based in part on the constancy of the speed of light. You'd need something you really do know the distance to by some other means (e.g. Voyager 1 and 2).

It's a long shot, and the difference would be really tiny at such a close distance, but I think it's worth investigating somehow. If it is true, then we can fix the standard model without all this dark matter. There are a few physicists who have worked out the math for this. But I am not sure it's easily detectable between here and the edge of the solar system.

Here is some more about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

Another interesting one is a varying gravitational constant.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:33 pm

Do Catholic photons have mass?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"