Relativity is Relatively Misunderstood

heydaralon

Re: Relativity is Relatively Misunderstood

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:42 pm

You guys are displaying a shocking amount of ignorance. Its kind of pitiful if you want to know the truth. There is no way to test time dillation or the distance of stars because you've never been to space. For all you know, the stars are actually really tiny and quite close, not huge and far away. They might even be small objects floating in our own atmosphere that glow. We have no way of knowing, and planetary scientists are talking out of their ass if they tell you otherwise. It is impossible to verify this stuff.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:20 pm

heydaralon wrote:You guys are displaying a shocking amount of ignorance. Its kind of pitiful if you want to know the truth. There is no way to test time dillation or the distance of stars because you've never been to space. For all you know, the stars are actually really tiny and quite close, not huge and far away. They might even be small objects floating in our own atmosphere that glow. We have no way of knowing, and planetary scientists are talking out of their ass if they tell you otherwise. It is impossible to verify this stuff.
I know you’re trolling, but that still kind of annoys me. A lot of people really do think that.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:28 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:You guys are displaying a shocking amount of ignorance. Its kind of pitiful if you want to know the truth. There is no way to test time dillation or the distance of stars because you've never been to space. For all you know, the stars are actually really tiny and quite close, not huge and far away. They might even be small objects floating in our own atmosphere that glow. We have no way of knowing, and planetary scientists are talking out of their ass if they tell you otherwise. It is impossible to verify this stuff.
I know you’re trolling, but that still kind of annoys me. A lot of people really do think that.
Are you willing to bet your future on a telescope? Those things are notoriously inaccurate. One time I looked through a telescope with a special filter to see a solar eclipse and just saw black. It turns out, I didn't take the lens cap off, but even still those telescopes are usually made in China by slave labor.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:46 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Acceleration has nothing to do with time dilation. It’s about relative speed.

It has everything to do with time dilation. You are referring to something else.

Acceleration and gravity are essentially the same thing in general relativity.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:55 pm

Time is precious. As we are speaking, it is flying by for all of us. Our lives are ending second by second. Time goes by way to fast to worry about dillation. Arthur C. Clarke already disproved all this stuff anyway, so this entire conversation is moot.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:22 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Acceleration has nothing to do with time dilation. It’s about relative speed.

It has everything to do with time dilation. You are referring to something else.

I guess in one sense that’s true, but it’s not related to the acceleration of the object itself. You’re talking about the formula for gravity, which does involve Mass/Time/Time. But that’s not the same thing.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:28 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I guess in one sense that’s true, but it’s not related to the acceleration of the object itself. You’re talking about the formula for gravity, which does involve Mass/Time/Time. But that’s not the same thing.

Even in Newtonian physics the equation for gravity can be derived from F = ma. With a being acceleration.

Although, technically, in general relativity, gravity I don't think is a proper "force" but more of an effect (like centrifugal force).

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:31 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Even in Newtonian physics the equation for gravity can be derived from F = ma. With a being acceleration.

Although, technically, in general relativity, gravity I don't think is a proper "force" but more of an effect (like centrifugal force).
Correct. It’s the effect of space-time distortion, created by mass. Newton defined it, using Acceleration, but his formula was overwritten by relativity. It didn’t describe the precession of Mercury, and some other obscure observations.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Gravity would only apply if you were talking about dropping a bowling ball off the tower of Pisa. Spaceships are a bit different. Gravity moves up and down (picture dropping your phone, notice how it falls towards your feet not your head), whereas spaceships seem to move sideways. Since space doesn't have a floor or ceiling, that is the only way they could move. Thus, gravity is not a useful metric for determining time. In any case, gravity and time are not as closely related as people like to pretend. For instance, gravity does not apply in bodies of water. Think about it: If you jumped into an 8 foot hole filled with air, you would break your legs. If you jumped into an 8 foot deep lake or swimming pool, you actually float. The water counteracts the gravitational force. Another reason that gravity and time are not associated at all is evidenced by the fact that water, the very thing that nullifies gravity, does not stop water proof watches from working. Usually, they are accurate, down to the millisecond, even when you are submerged in the pool. I think its time to rethink this whole relativity thing. I realize this is a lot to process for you, but I will give you a few minutes GCF. Please stop posting silly and incorrect assumptions about science. In the future, I will hold you to a higher standard, because after reading this post, you should have a bit more insight into how the universe works.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 am

Lmao you are insane

Formerly GrumpyCatFace