Relativity is Relatively Misunderstood

Martin Hash

Re: Relativity is Relatively Misunderstood

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

Because 2 clocks don’t synchronize doesn’t mean time travel occurred, just like a sonic boom occurring seconds after a plane flies by doesn’t mean there’s time travel.

A spaceship traveling in a straight line vs. the light from the spaceship traveling a curve means the spaceship may beat the light: an optic boom.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:07 am

General relativity has been duplicated in countless experiments. Acceleration really does cause time dilation.

I do, however, suspect that it's possible the speed of light is not constant over a distance.

There are problems that Einstein himself had to wrestle with:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

And then there is this dark matter debacle. You could fix the standard model right now without inventing invisible matter by adding some form of variable speed of light.

https://www.livescience.com/29111-speed ... stant.html

The only people who can get to the bottom of this are the Europeans. American physics is fucking gone for all intents and purposes. It's all metaphysics now.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:29 am

This is definitely going to get redefined in the next 100 years to get the time travel aspect of it out.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:33 am

Martin Hash wrote:Because 2 clocks don’t synchronize doesn’t mean time travel occurred, just like a sonic boom occurring seconds after a plane flies by doesn’t mean there’s time travel.

A spaceship traveling in a straight line vs. the light from the spaceship traveling a curve means the spaceship may beat the light: an optic boom.
Woke up this morning, my Fitbit said 6:30AM. Took two minutes to get downstairs, the oven clock said 6:29AM.
Boo yah.
I went back in time.
(But when I went back upstairs for another minute of sleep the oven clock flipped to 6:30. Ah well, next time!)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:34 am

Martin Hash wrote:Because 2 clocks don’t synchronize doesn’t mean time travel occurred, just like a sonic boom occurring seconds after a plane flies by doesn’t mean there’s time travel.

It's actually been seen, even with airliners. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2 ... experiment
Satellite clocks are set to run more quickly, in order to synch up with the ground. This is necessary for GPS to work properly.

Yes, the light-cone effect is pretty much identical to a sonic effect. You see it before you hear it, because of course the light gets there first. If you were hit by something moving at the speed of light, then you'd never even see it. The best way to learn about this is from Hawking's book 'A Brief History of Time'. There are 2 of them in the series now, and they're absolutely amazing.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:36 am

It's also possible that Fitbit is as laughably inaccurate at measuring time as it is your heart rate and calorie burn..

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:39 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:It's also possible that Fitbit is as laughably inaccurate at measuring time as it is your heart rate and calorie burn..
Luckily I only rely on it to make sure I break 10k steps a day.
Time travel is just an added perk.

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 am

DBTrek wrote:

Woke up this morning, my Fitbit said 6:30AM. Took two minutes to get downstairs, the oven clock said 6:29AM.
Boo yah.
I went back in time.
Yesterday I was doing some QA on a new module my team is building. As we were taking actions, the time stamp on the actions were all stamping the same time, even though we were in test mode for over and hour. For the last action we took, the time stamp was different - it stamped it six minutes earlier than the server time.

Our minds were blown.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:42 am

DBTrek wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It's also possible that Fitbit is as laughably inaccurate at measuring time as it is your heart rate and calorie burn..

Why not just run two miles? You should be able to maintain a daily run of around 1-2 miles without breaking down, and that's far better for you than steps.

No easy solution for winter, though..

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:46 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
DBTrek wrote:

Why not just run two miles? You should be able to maintain a daily run of around 1-2 miles without breaking down, and that's far better for you than steps.
Two reasons -
2 miles is only about 5.6k steps
My standard run is 3 miles in 25 mins