Admiration

Martin Hash

Admiration

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:06 am

People admire the rich because contact with a rich person could turn into reward for yourself.

People admire the famous because contact with a famous person could turn into status for yourself.

People with accomplishments have no value for you, quite the opposite really, they have devalued you in comparison.

p.s. I learned these things here, on this forum.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Admiration

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:13 am

Nobody outside of your tribe and allies gives a shit about you. This is an important lesson for anyone.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:31 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Nobody outside of your tribe and allies gives a shit about you. This is an important lesson for anyone.
I agree EXCEPT if they can gain from that person. Admiration is about personal gain.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 am

Martin Hash wrote:People admire the rich because contact with a rich person could turn into reward for yourself.

People admire the famous because contact with a famous person could turn into status for yourself.

People with accomplishments have no value for you, quite the opposite really, they have devalued you in comparison.

Nah.
I think this is incorrect, though I see how you would feel that way.
You overlook the entire Jim Rohn "five closest friends" argument, which values "accomplishments" just as much as wealth or fame, depending on who you're trying to become.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:47 am

DBTrek wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:People admire the rich because contact with a rich person could turn into reward for yourself.

Nah.
I think this is incorrect, though I see how you would feel that way.
You overlook the entire Jim Rohn "five closest friends" argument, which values "accomplishments" just as much as wealth or fame, depending on who you're trying to become.
Maybe deep in the Bell Curve that "average" argument works. Even then, Jim Rohm, like Dale Carnegie, is fun to listen to, but in practice, impractical.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:53 am

Martin Hash wrote:Maybe deep in the Bell Curve that "average" argument works. Even then, Jim Rohm, like Dale Carnegie, is fun to listen to, but in practice, impractical.
Regardless of the merits of Rohm's overall work, his "five friends" theory has been picked up and circulated by a number of successful people like Tim Ferriss, Lewis Howes, and Tony Robbins. So it seems that successful people believe it. Really it's just a rehash of the ol' "birds of a feather" adage that has been in the canon of human wisdom since time immemorial.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:00 am

You're welcome.
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:01 am

DBTrek wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Maybe deep in the Bell Curve that "average" argument works. Even then, Jim Rohm, like Dale Carnegie, is fun to listen to, but in practice, impractical.
Regardless of the merits of Rohm's overall work, his "five friends" theory has been picked up and circulated by a number of successful people like Tim Ferriss, Lewis Howes, and Tony Robbins. So it seems that successful people believe it. Really it's just a rehash of the ol' "birds of a feather" adage that has been in the canon of human wisdom since time immemorial.
Which goes back to why everyone admires rich & famous people, because they want to be part of the flock, though odds are that they will never be rich or famous themselves.

p.s. You seem to have a perchance for motivational speakers. Read Scott Adams' books for true insight.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:03 am

StCapps wrote:

You're welcome.
I'll be integrating this knowledge into my "Philosophy of an Old Cyber-Cowboy" book (now available on Amazon).

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:16 am

Martin Hash wrote: p.s. You seem to have a perchance for motivational speakers. Read Scott Adams' books for true insight.
Well, I live in snowflake victim central, so I have to rely on podcasts and audiobooks to be my five closest friends, lest the Seattleites drag me down.
:P

So this month my five closest friends are Jocko Willink, Gen Stanley McChrystal, Tim Ferriss, Ray Dalio, and StCapps.
Lulz