Abortion

Fife

Re: Abortion

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:59 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

Abortion at 9 months is the same as a c-section.

I found rant.
I watched a good bit of that. Props to Crowder; I could critique him on some collateral points on this video, but I won't, for now. That shit he set up there is not an easy gig.

The RAnt is strong among a bunch of these college kiddos.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:

Abortion at 9 months is the same as a c-section.

I found rant.
There is no abortion beyond 6 months in the US.
Guess who commented without even watching?
I'm not watching 40 minutes of a tired-ass debate, with a "libertarian" arguing for a restriction of rights.

Was responding to your silly comment.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:36 pm

A libertarian, as batshit as they are, does not support all "rights", and should be intelligent enough to understand why.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:A libertarian, as batshit as they are, does not support all "rights", and should be intelligent enough to understand why.
At any point in that video, does he justify restricting the actions of his fellow citizens?

Not a libertarian. Blatant violation of the NAP.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:A libertarian, as batshit as they are, does not support all "rights", and should be intelligent enough to understand why.
At any point in that video, does he justify restricting the actions of his fellow citizens?

He defends the NAP. Killing somebody is a violation of the NAP. The question is whether you are killing somebody. We simply cannot agree on whether this is a human person who is being killed. You act like it's a given that an unborn baby is not a human person, when most of us actually believe that. It's not a given. It's your own assumption that you expect the rest of the world to simply accept.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

He defends the NAP. Killing somebody is a violation of the NAP. The question is whether you are killing somebody. We simply cannot agree on whether this is a human person who is being killed. You act like it's a given that an unborn baby is not a human person, when most of us actually believe that. It's not a given. It's your own assumption that you expect the rest of the world to simply accept.
Again, all of human history and tradition, vs your feelz.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:49 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It's more like science against your feelz.

I have both science and all of human history and tradition on my side. Abortion has been considered murder since before the collapse of the Roman Empire. Even the pagans knew it was murder when they did it.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:00 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I have both science and all of human history and tradition on my side. Abortion has been considered murder since before the collapse of the Roman Empire. Even the pagans knew it was murder when they did it.
Were unborn children ever given birthrights, or recognized as citizens anywhere in human history?

Pagans, Romans, and all civilizations since have practiced abortions. Doesn't make a lick of difference whether it's legal to have it administered in a safe medical setting. It's going to happen.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Were unborn children ever given birthrights, or recognized as citizens anywhere in human history?

Pagans, Romans, and all civilizations since have practiced abortions. Doesn't make a lick of difference whether it's legal to have it administered in a safe medical setting. It's going to happen.
Oath of Hippocrates -- 400s BC
I SWEAR by Apollo the physician, and Aesculapius, and Health, and All-heal, and all the gods and goddesses, that, according to my ability and judgment, I will keep this Oath and this stipulation- to reckon him who taught me this Art equally dear to me as my parents, to share my substance with him, and relieve his necessities if required; to look upon his offspring in the same footing as my own brothers, and to teach them this art, if they shall wish to learn it, without fee or stipulation; and that by precept, lecture, and every other mode of instruction, I will impart a knowledge of the Art to my own sons, and those of my teachers, and to disciples bound by a stipulation and oath according to the law of medicine, but to none others. I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion. With purity and with holiness I will pass my life and practice my Art. I will not cut persons laboring under the stone, but will leave this to be done by men who are practitioners of this work. Into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption; and, further from the seduction of females or males, of freemen and slaves. Whatever, in connection with my professional practice or not, in connection with it, I see or hear, in the life of men, which ought not to be spoken of abroad, I will not divulge, as reckoning that all such should be kept secret. While I continue to keep this Oath unviolated, may it be granted to me to enjoy life and the practice of the art, respected by all men, in all times! But should I trespass and violate this Oath, may the reverse be my lot!
Marcus Tullius Cicero
I recollect that a certain Milesian woman, when I was in Asia, because she had by medicines brought on abortion, having been bribed to do so by the heirs in reversion, was convicted of a capital crime; and rightly, inasmuch as she had destroyed the hope of the father, the memory of his name, the supply of his race, the heir of his family, a citizen intended for the use of the republic. How much severer punishment does Oppianicus deserve for the same crime? For she, by doing this violence to her person, tortured her own body; but he effected this same crime through the torture and death of another. Other men do not appear to be able to commit many atrocious murders on one individual, but Oppianicus has been found clever enough to destroy many lives in one body.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ion%253D32

Even Ovid found this practice murderous and revolting:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.02.0069

Didache -- Written in the first century (second generation of Christians)
Chapter 2. The Second Commandment: Grave Sin Forbidden. And the second commandment of the Teaching; You shall not commit murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not commit pederasty, you shall not commit fornication, you shall not steal, you shall not practice magic, you shall not practice witchcraft, you shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born. You shall not covet the things of your neighbor, you shall not swear, you shall not bear false witness, you shall not speak evil, you shall bear no grudge. You shall not be double-minded nor double-tongued, for to be double-tongued is a snare of death. Your speech shall not be false, nor empty, but fulfilled by deed. You shall not be covetous, nor rapacious, nor a hypocrite, nor evil disposed, nor haughty. You shall not take evil counsel against your neighbor. You shall not hate any man; but some you shall reprove, and concerning some you shall pray, and some you shall love more than your own life.
http://earlychristianwritings.com/text/ ... berts.html

By the medieval period, abortion was criminal everywhere. It's been considered murder by our civilization until the 1960s.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:50 am

Kind of frustrating watching that Crowder video. Not least because they keep using the term "life" as in, "when does life begin?" Life? I wash my hands of it, (literally, as bacteria and microbes will attest.) A more meaningful distinction between a blob of meaty cells and an individual having subjective experiences would be the ability to desire to live. Such an ability (one reasons) would require a brain that is in a certain stage of development, such a stage would require a certain amount of synaptic activity. What exactly that stage is, can be reasoned over, but a zygote and many things after a zygote can probably be safely determined to not be it. We can admit we don't know when sentience begins while also being able to say we can be reasonably certain when there is not sentience, for example, the penny I just found on the ground. So if Crowder is as rational as he seems to be then I think one could get him to agree that some abortions are alright given the correct parameters. And once they lose that battle, it's just a slow march to the planned parenthood from there.