Paris Climate Accord

TheReal_ND

Re: Paris Climate Accord

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:no no no, I can do better,

next up on this old thread, nuke tells me he's not a fucking retard.
You're a fucking retard

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:31 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:
Hey, you and I will both be there in our dotage paying our "fair" share of taxes for all the camps. Just think, what with the famines from climate collapse, we'll both have a chance to have the chic new look of Irish famine victims. Just like my ancestors! :twisted:

Maybe we can meet up while I'm on the beach reading On the Beach, or lighter reading The March of Folly?

(I think I am getting just a tiny bit darkly fanciful and morbid. Maybe I should rememberize The Widening Gyre? :-))
The warmer climate should actually improve crop yield for a while. If there's a famine, it'll come much later.
The crops will grow, but without a functioning monetary system, that's all they'll do.
Nah. If pre-Feudal Europe got by on barter, we can too. Then again, I bet a lot of people might choose to starve with their phones than live with food for trading them. :twisted:
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:09 pm

katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:
The warmer climate should actually improve crop yield for a while. If there's a famine, it'll come much later.
The crops will grow, but without a functioning monetary system, that's all they'll do.
Nah. If pre-Feudal Europe got by on barter, we can too. Then again, I bet a lot of people might choose to starve with their phones than live with food for trading them. :twisted:
Life expectancy drops to 30. But the chicks don't sleep around.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:15 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

It's naturally around 31, but only because you are averaging all the lives, and infant mortality was through the roof until recently. If you made it to adulthood, you had a good chance to live pretty old.

The dynamic inverts, however, with women typically dying long before their husbands die due to the complications of birthing 6+ children. That also factors into the average life expectancy. If us adult men were to go back to the medieval period, and we avoid the black death centuries, we'd live pretty well, actually.

So don't threaten me with medieval living conditions. Medieval my shit right up, thanks.

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:43 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
You still have that in the cities. Also, night bundling.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundling_(tradition)
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26289459
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:47 pm

katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:

:lol:

There's no way that would catch on in Catholic communities. Imagine asking your parish priest if it's okay for two teens to sleep together as long as they are wrapped in separate blankets. Lol.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

:lol:

There's no way that would catch on in Catholic communities. Imagine asking your parish priest if it's okay for two teens to sleep together as long as they are wrapped in separate blankets. Lol.
As long as you tell the priest all about it the next day, while he jerks off in his cubicle, it's cool.

:twisted:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:24 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The whole life expectancy of 30 is a bit misleading. Infant mortality was staggering at the time, not to mention emotionally devastating for the parents, but people didn't drop dead at age 30. In fact if you lived to 30, there was a good chance you would live to 65 or 70. I'm not saying it was a great time to be alive, but if you take out child mortality, the disparity between then and modern times is not as big as people think.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:50 pm

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
katarn wrote:
The whole life expectancy of 30 is a bit misleading. Infant mortality was staggering at the time, not to mention emotionally devastating for the parents, but people didn't drop dead at age 30. In fact if you lived to 30, there was a good chance you would live to 65 or 70. I'm not saying it was a great time to be alive, but if you take out child mortality, the disparity between then and modern times is not as big as people think.

Female mortality was higher as well from childbirth. A man who made it to 30 was likely to live about as long as men live today, really.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:19 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Female mortality was higher as well from childbirth. A man who made it to 30 was likely to live about as long as men live today, really.
What is interesting about mortality in that period is how egalitarian it was. Nowadays, the rich get the best medicine. That was still true in the past, but the best medicine was really not much better than the worst medicine. The advantage they had was more nutrition I guess. I read about one queen, (I think it was Edward VI's wife) who kept trying to produce a male heir. She went through 12 children, until she finally got one who survived childbirth and was a boy. That must have fucked her up mentally. I've read that parents in the past took it as a given that many of their children would die at a young age, so they tried not to get emotionally attached to them until they reached a certain age. It would probably appear cold to us, but it was a defense mechanism. Of course, in practice, that would have been impossible and they were undoubtedly devastated when their children died.
Shikata ga nai