SuburbanFarmer

Re: Trump's First 100 Days

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:06 am

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Haumana wrote:

Elitist
noun
1.a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.

After listening to his podcasts, I guess you could make that case if you consider the top 25% elites. But that seems a bit watered down.

I guess the terms elitist and elites mean something else to me. Being educated, ambitious and fortunate doesn't automatically equate to the definition I provided and currently understand the term to mean. *shrug
Dude. Paragraph 10. Where he's talking about the MSM and talking heads going after Trump. They're called out as "college-educated elitists".

I'm just saying that doesn't make any sense coming from a guy with multiple doctorates, who retired 20 years ago.
I read it. Dunno, it just seems you are conflating his education and luck with his ideology. What, ideologically speaking, has he offered that would make him an elitist according to the definition I provided? You may have a different definition of the term and by sharing it would help in understanding your critique.
No critique. I like the podcast. If anything, it's a little hard to follow his thesis, because it goes so far back and forth.

That term just struck me as really odd coming from him. It's used to rally the "non-elites", and it smacks of manipulation, when coming from an elite.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:23 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
No critique. I like the podcast. If anything, it's a little hard to follow his thesis, because it goes so far back and forth.

That term just struck me as really odd coming from him. It's used to rally the "non-elites", and it smacks of manipulation, when coming from an elite.
Fair enough, I guess it didn't strike me the same because I don't consider him an elitist for the reasons I already shared and I don't even know what a "non-elite" is. I have heard it said that being fortunate enough to be born in America makes us all global elites though.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:35 am

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Fair enough, I guess it didn't strike me the same because I don't consider him an elitist for the reasons I already shared and I don't even know what a "non-elite" is. I have heard it said that being fortunate enough to be born in America makes us all global elites though.
That is true. But even those Blessed of the Flag don't normally retire by that age (or ever), and the specific mention of college education from a guy with multiple degrees.... well it's just tasteless, if nothing else.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:04 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
That is true. But even those Blessed of the Flag don't normally retire by that age (or ever), and the specific mention of college education from a guy with multiple degrees.... well it's just tasteless, if nothing else.
Tasteless? Missed that. Again, conflating education with ideology. Would it have been better for him to just have referenced elitists? Considering that you see him as one, I would have to say no. I am trying to understand your position but it seems to vacillate between the education and the elitist aspects with his fortunate ability to be retired and rich at an early, or any, age as an ancillary factor to your choice of words. They do conjure up the thought of sour grapes but that might just be me as I have read them this evening. You have brought up his retirement twice and his education a few times but never addressed his ideological standpoint, as you understand it, once.

An example of a college educated elitist as I understand the term. We all should conform to his ideas because he knows better.

The existence of this forum that bears his full name would suggest that Hash feels otherwise, just a guess on my part though.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:12 am

Haumana wrote:Suggestion: Put this on your FB page so it can be shared.
Done. (Thanks for the hint.)
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:39 am

Haumana wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Tasteless? Missed that. Again, conflating education with ideology. Would it have been better for him to just have referenced elitists? Considering that you see him as one, I would have to say no. I am trying to understand your position but it seems to vacillate between the education and the elitist aspects with his fortunate ability to be retired and rich at an early, or any, age as an ancillary factor to your choice of words. They do conjure up the thought of sour grapes but that might just be me as I have read them this evening. You have brought up his retirement twice and his education a few times but never addressed his ideological standpoint, as you understand it, once.

An example of a college educated elitist as I understand the term. We all should conform to his ideas because he knows better.

The existence of this forum that bears his full name would suggest that Hash feels otherwise, just a guess on my part though.
Sigh. I don't think Hash is elitist. I don't have sour grapes, envy, sore ass, or anything else. I just don't think it's wise to denounce "college educated elites", when you are probably more "college educated" than they are. It's like Goldman Sachs sympathizing with my hatred of banksters. It's disingenuous, and strikes the wrong tone.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:22 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I just don't think it's wise to denounce "college educated elites"...
Other than STEM, the people I reach associate "college" with SJWs.

p.s. Several academics, including Jordan Peterson, suggest it's time to get rid of colleges.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:18 am

Martin Hash wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I just don't think it's wise to denounce "college educated elites"...
Other than STEM, the people I reach associate "college" with SJWs.

p.s. Several academics, including Jordan Peterson, suggest it's time to get rid of colleges.
Are you denouncing college education, despite having invested massive amounts of money in, and having reaped massive rewards from it? That doesn't make any sense, man. That's more like pulling the ladder up behind you.

I'm not saying your main point is wrong, but you need ideological consistency, as a public figure. This stuff will not fly, amigo. Remember the heat that this group gave Bernie when it was discovered that he had a second house, despite railing against "the Rich"?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:37 am

Okay. I'll leave "college-educated" off my insult list for the reason you elucidated.