Science vs. Faith

Martin Hash

Science vs. Faith

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:55 am

I find the whole science verses faith debate ludicrous: one is fact and the other is mysticism, but, conversely, the faith people distrust science? Their failure in logical can only be explained by indoctrination during their youth with magical thinking because most people are rational if they don't go into a situation already harboring erroneous preconceptions. The supposed Separation of Church & State in America was intended to allow religious freedom, but in modern times it has served a more important role in keeping faith out of the public sphere, thankfully.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Paulo

Re: Science vs. Faith

Post by Paulo » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:18 pm

Agreeing with you, it seems to me that this is a fake controversy that should be cleared. People of faith watch TV, use cellphones, are surrounded by science in every second of the day. So is just some subjects of interest that are chosen to create this fake controversy. Like that stupid anti vaccination wave, give some people some BS and they will follow.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 pm

Agreeing with both of you. Fuck religion.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:48 pm

If you have time watch this! Some of the things in the Bible are being proven to be fact. Like the great flood. Also I truly believe that the civilized world is much, much older that we were taught in school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5LCLljJho
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:59 pm

It's not a fake controversy. A lot of religious people are afraid of religion being relegated to being about the gaps. The stuff that can't be otherwise explained. So they mount a counter offensive. Trying to regain ground by promoting alternative scientific explanations.

It's a stupid tactic. Religion can't win against science in an arena where the rules are set by the scientific community.

What they should do is to take the high road and bring the discussion back to theology. Claim the whole of existence by default.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Hastur wrote:What they should do is to take the high road and bring the discussion back to theology. Claim the whole of existence by default.
Agree.

I'm no theist but, damn, I look around every day, do the math, and evolution ain't the answer either (some is).
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:27 pm

I've never really understood the two to be incompatible. But, then again, I'm not a fundamentalist.

Two Man

Post by Two Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

I'd say science and faith are incompatible but science and theism - I think you can have faith in both.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Chase anything down far enough and one will find a requirement to make a leap of faith.

Calculus Man

Post by Calculus Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:40 pm

Haumana wrote:Chase anything down far enough and one will find a requirement to make a leap of faith.
So much this.

Anyone who tells you they understand quantum mechanics is full of shit.