Feminism

TheReal_ND

Re: Feminism

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:46 pm

Fuck if I know. I thought it was a log and just popped over it. I'm sure he's fine.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:47 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:39 pm
I remember at UF I threw pinecones at them and they tried to eat them. Not terribly bright. I also knocked one unconscious at the okeefenokee swamp during a canoe trip when I managed to drop a rock right on its soft spot. To be fair, it was swimming dangerously close to our boat and we tried to evade it and motioned it to leave. It came back up later, but its eyes went white and it went under. They are pretty cool and fun to interact with. You just have to treat them with respect.
When I was growing up, an eleven foot gator ate a little black kid near Fish Lake, which is at the far end of the Butler Chain in Dr. Phillips (next to Lake Sheen). Father shot it's eye out trying rescue his son.

They caught that thing years later in Lake Sheen. It was 13 feet by then, missing an eye.

By the time you got old enough to know better, the county had already removed the big ones and dumped them in the Everglades and other park areas. When you think of gator, you probably think of little five foot guys that might tear your shit up, but not take you out. That's not normal. They get removed when they get big now.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:47 pm
heydaralon wrote:
I remember at UF I threw pinecones at them and they tried to eat them. Not terribly bright. I also knocked one unconscious at the okeefenokee swamp during a canoe trip when I managed to drop a rock right on its soft spot. To be fair, it was swimming dangerously close to our boat and we tried to evade it and motioned it to leave. It came back up later, but its eyes went white and it went under. They are pretty cool and fun to interact with. You just have to treat them with respect.
When I was growing up, an eleven foot gator ate a little black kid near Fish Lake, which is at the far end of the Butler Chain in Dr. Phillips (next to Lake Sheen). Father shot it's eye out trying rescue his son.

They caught that thing years later in Lake Sheen. It was 13 feet by then, missing an eye.

By the time you got old enough to know better, the county had already removed the big ones and dumped them in the Everglades and other park areas. When you think of gator, you probably think of little five foot guys that might tear your shit up, but not take you out. That's not normal. They get removed when they get big now.
I've seen some big fuckers, but most of the ones I see are on the smaller side, 6 feet or less. If you look at the stats for alligator attacks and fatalities, they are pretty low. They could kill us if they wanted, but most of the time they don't. I never heard that story with the kid. He must have been throwing pinecones at the gator, which I urge people not to do.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:51 pm

The ones here dont seem to get that big. Never seen one larger than maybe 8 foot. Probably out there but idk. They seem to just congregate by the Brazos and out by Louisiana. They arent a normal part of the fauna like in Florida. Well I mean they are because they've been around for millions of years but they arent as common as in Florida per se
Last edited by TheReal_ND on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:52 pm

I hated that Fucker, got Chubbs Petersons hand.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:57 pm

I really wish we had more gators here to be honest. There are a bunch of big ones at Lake Apopka. They are really beautiful animals. They taste good too. In the past, Florida panicked and thought they were going to be extinct, so they issued a moratorium on hunting gators. Then the gator pop. exploded, they started ending up in retention ponds, golf courses, and people's pools. The species just shot back up immediately. They also find them in large sewer pipes. They aren't in NY sewers, but I saw a picture of one that was probably close to 15 feet long inside one of those big pipes a person can stand up in.

Not the gator in question, but those fuckers are resilient.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:58 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:49 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:47 pm
heydaralon wrote:

I've seen some big fuckers, but most of the ones I see are on the smaller side, 6 feet or less. If you look at the stats for alligator attacks and fatalities, they are pretty low. They could kill us if they wanted, but most of the time they don't. I never heard that story with the kid. He must have been throwing pinecones at the gator, which I urge people not to do.
To be fair, the only time I wasn't asking for it was the first time when I was swimming in a lagoon area in Lake Butler as a child and one started cruising to my location when my dad told me to get into the boat real fast.

The other times I was fucking with them or using their trails in the reeds along the lakes.

I think it's weird that I have no fear of gators but these fucking black bears all over the place where I live now scare the shit out of me.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Black bears are the aggressive ones right? For grizzlies you gotta play dead, but black bears you gotta fight? I have seen a few in Florida, mainly on camp outs. They sometimes wander into suburbs, tip over trashcans, and kill a pet or two and it makes the news. I'm not sure if they eat the dogs and cats like Hwen, or merely kill them in self defense.
Shikata ga nai

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:09 pm
Black bears are the aggressive ones right? For grizzlies you gotta play dead, but black bears you gotta fight? I have seen a few in Florida, mainly on camp outs. They sometimes wander into suburbs, tip over trashcans, and kill a pet or two and it makes the news. I'm not sure if they eat the dogs and cats like Hwen, or merely kill them in self defense.
Nah, Grizzly Bears are the ones that kill you.
https://abc13.com/tragic-grizzly-bear-k ... a/4787787/

Playing dead has very limited actual proof of not making you dead.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:20 pm

Playing dead is a good way to master being dead.