Daylight Hours – June 6, 2023

Martin Hash

Daylight Hours – June 6, 2023

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:52 pm

For the first time, my wife, Gwynne, and I are traveling through Alaska. Years ago we did a family Alaskan Cruise but that only involved a few coastal tourist towns. This time we’re spending significant time driving across the immense state, largest in the U.S. I live in the PNW so I’m used to long summer nights but Alaska is a whole other level; in Anchorage, it doesn’t get dark until just before midnight in June. As we traveled further north, the days got even longer; the sun not setting until after midnight and sunrise a couple hours later, until there was no night at all. I like the long. long day; I liked waking up in the middle of the night and being able to see.

2;31 am.jpg
2:31 am

However, it got so cold I had to wear thermal underwear during the day, and a knit hat to bed sleeping a “zero degree” bag with a thick camel-hair blanket as additional insulation. We’ve also lived near the equator where it’s warm all year round but it’s dark at 4:30 pm, with no night life, so half the day is lost. Both places create the same long shadow the minutes after the sun comes up.

Long Shadow.jpg
Long Shadow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change