New Years in Iquitos

Martin Hash

New Years in Iquitos

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:04 am

Amazonian Manger.JPG
Amazon nativity scene

We traveled the world as a family when my children were young and we still do today even though they now all have their own families. We’ve spent New Years in Australia, the Caribbean & Brazil, and now Peru, specifically the historic city of Iquitos, the entry way into the Amazon. Iquitos has a bizarre history because even though it is about as far away from anywhere as you can get, it was the only place with rubber trees. With the rise of the auto industry in the early 1900s, Iquitos boomed at Robber Baron levels, becoming enormously prosperous, even having its own opera which must be the most remote in history: there’s even been a movie made about it, “Fitzcarraldo.” Before rubber seeds were smuggled to Malaysia in 1912 and the city was deserted by foreigners, the eponymous Gustave Eiffel built the Casa de Fierro, the Iron House, downtown.

The weather forecast in Iquitos was pouring down rain so when we arrived we had to run across the tarmac getting soaked but lucky for us it was clear and sunny the rest of our stay. Ubiquitous 3-wheel taxis took us everywhere and we stayed in a $15/night hotel. Entertainingly, it turned out to be a brothel: no bedding, blue lights, everything covered in leather, suggestive furniture, and large mirrors facing the beds which fascinated my 4-year old grandson.

Brothel Room.JPG
Brothel room

We went downtown for New Year’s Eve where all the action was: fireworks, balloons, a midget dance-off & ceviche for dinner. We got a family photo in the town square then had drinks on the ninth floor walk-up Sky Bar where we watched the fireworks burst over the Amazon river. Back at our hotel a live band played all night until 6 am: my sons stayed up for it but I had no problem sleeping.

2022 New Year Family Picture.jpg
Family New Year's 2022 pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Re: New Years in Iquitos

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:52 pm

I've traveled a lot, and I am seldom envious of your adventures. But I am this time. I'd love to see the Amazon and hang out with the locals. Best Travel Log I've read. I LOL'd on the brothel. My wife would freak out when she came to understand where she was sleeping. :lol:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience