Jungle Drinking Fountain, Amazon, Peru

Martin Hash

Jungle Drinking Fountain, Amazon, Peru

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:19 am

After a day of practice hiking in the Amazon jungle, my family was ready for the real thing. Before starting, our guide, Flavius, handed out rubber boots & high-proof DEET which was indicative of what the trek would entail. Indeed, it had rained the previous night like it did every night so the whole trail was a mud puddle.

Muddy Trek.JPG
Haven walking through mud

Our guide, Flavius, liked explaining how to survive in the jungle, including how to find safe water to drink by turning vines into drinking fountains. He found a vine that was about 5 inches in diameter, cut it into 18-inch sections and sharpened the ends. Holding the pieces horizontally to keep in the water, he handed them to us to tip into our mouths: tasted fine.

The highlight of the hike was one of the few remaining rubber trees. Over a century ago, this part of the Amazon had made fortunes for Europeans who forced the natives to bleed the sap, but now few of the trees remained. Flavius made a slight cut in the bark and handed us the thick white rubbery material that emerged. It was fascinating & depressing at the same time. Obviously other people felt the same way because a jungle swing made out of vines was nearby, lightening the mood.

Gwynne on Jungle Swing.jpg
Gwynne on jungle swing

Flavius scraped the bark from another kind of tree, explaining that when two tribes met each other, they would compete by seeing who could hold the shavings in the soft fold of their elbows the longest. My sons gave it a try: I would have too but pain had already played a part in my adventure: dangerously Spiky Palm trees were everywhere, constantly grabbing my clothes as we squeezed through narrow openings. It was only a matter of time before I slipped in the mud, instinctively grabbing for the closest handhold which turned out to be dozens of long needles piercing deep into my palm and thumb, the fragile points breaking off under the skin. I treated the wounds with antibiotic and anti-inflammatory lotions but it still throbbed for the next several days.

Spiky Palm Tree.jpg
Spiky Palm tree
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change