Iquitos Market, Peru

Martin Hash

Iquitos Market, Peru

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:31 am

Street markets around the world are virtually interchangeable: Africa, China, SE Asia, Middle East, and the one in Iquitos, Peru, the doorway to the Amazon, end of civilization. In the market, produce is common, and home-butchered meat, along with electronics, shoes & household goods. The multitude of temporary booths, many with colorful umbrellas, were laid out in rows on streets, paved and unpaved. Walking through was like navigating a minefield, carefully stepping over muddy pools of whoknowswhat.

Locals often call to me because if there’s one thing I know how to do, it’s stick out as a tourist: I always wear garish clothes & hat that I buy locally but that no locals actually wear. This means things are brought to my attention that I might not otherwise see in the chaos & confusion: for example, a man selling coca leaf (where cocaine comes from).

Selling Cocoa Leaf.jpg
Selling coca leaf

I’m always amazed how people in Peru work no-matter-what, a conscientiousness that Westerners have lost. However, it doesn’t seem to make any difference how efficient & effective their efforts are: many of the booths were so sparse & humble it makes me wonder if they sell enough to cover costs: trinkets, ice cream, potions. I felt guilty walking by without looking, and even more guilty if I looked then didn’t buy anything. Everything is just so earnest & sincere: one booth had a young boy sleeping on a pile of used clothing. Luckily, my daughter-in-law, a full-blooded Incan, would stop & talk with local people, and I’d notice everyone was smiling.

Sleeping on Table.JPG
Boy sleeping on table
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change