Automovile Coleccion Nicolini, Lima, Peru

Martin Hash

Automovile Coleccion Nicolini, Lima, Peru

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:32 am

Peru is certainly not the first place an autophile thinks of as a location of some of the world’s rarest antique cars but it has the advantage of dry weather, ultra-wealthy patrons and few paved roads. There also isn’t the First Worlder affinity for old cars so there are few enthusiasts which means a single individual can still build a collection that rivals the best of the West, especially in original condition. I got to discover this at the Nicolini Automotive Museum.

Museum Sign.JPG
Museum sign

When I entered the walled, spiked & guarded enclosure in an industrial sector of Lima, my eyes were immediately drawn to a beautiful Woody, and from there into a warehouse filled with some of the best cars I’ve ever seen all in one place, and I’m a guy who goes to lots of car museums both big & small. It was an eclectic mix, maybe ¾ American-made but French & English too. The old Packard limousines were the most impressive. One of the requirements of being in the collection is that every car must be drivable: many are driven weekly.

Inside Museum.JPG
Inside museum

There’s a tour-guide but the informational signs are written in English as well as Spanish. Provenance is a big part of any old car’s story, and these babies have some doozies: the car Richard Nixon road in, the car owned by the royal family, the cars of the wealthy land barons. Most have the year they were imported, and how they were acquired. Many had only a single owner. The museum also does restoration work on location, including body, upholstery & chrome. Another large building is for engines & running gear.

Jag Restoration.JPG
Jag Restoration
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change