Great Salt Lake, UT

Martin Hash

Great Salt Lake, UT

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:10 am

The Great Salt Lake is the largest salt lake in the Western Hemisphere though it’s shallow, only 35’ at it’s deepest, but it’s one of the highest salinity lakes in the world. At it’s greatest size in 1987, the lake covered 3300 square miles, and its lowest extent In 1963 had been only 950 square miles, but due to diversion of its source rivers for development plus recent drought, when we visited the lake was its smallest size in recorded history.

Shrinkage In Drought.JPG

I can barely remember swimming in the Great Salt Lake when I was 6 to 8 years old, and marveling how well I could float, not experiencing that feeling again until 50 years later when I swam in the Dead Sea. Neither my dad nor mom remember that event and possibly I dreamed it but my dad eventually texted me that he remembers driving us from Reno, NV to visit Salt Lake, UT at about that time.

Primary access to the lake if from its largest island which paradoxically, we drove to. Antelope Island State Park is also home to a small herd, 300 head, of bison. I stamped my National Parks passport at the visitor center & bought a hat pin which I immediately affixed. There was also a refrigerator magnet involved in the transaction.

We had to walk a half-mile through loose rocky sand from the former beach just to get to the water. Everybody was warning us, “Don’t get in the water, you’ll get sick,” but we were undeterred; people seemed amazed we came out alive. I did float better but not like my imaginings from childhood.

Martin Floating.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Re: Great Salt Lake

Post by C-Mag » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:51 am

Everybody was warning us, “Don’t get in the water, you’ll get sick,” but we were undeterred; people seemed amazed we came out alive.
Safety Culture has turned Americans into scared fear mongers.

Good on you Marty.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Re: Great Salt Lake

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:22 am

C-Mag wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:51 am
Everybody was warning us, “Don’t get in the water, you’ll get sick,” but we were undeterred; people seemed amazed we came out alive.
Safety Culture has turned Americans into scared fear mongers.

Good on you Marty.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.