Kenya

Martin Hash

Kenya

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:11 pm

Kenya 2.JPG
We were going to go to the movies in Nairobi, Kenya to see “The Hangover,” the only non-3D animation film playing. On the way thee multiple street vendors, possibly with a second sense about our destination, offered us the same movie on a pirate DVD for a tenth the prices of a theater ticket. Obviously sales of bootleg DVDs is good because there wasn’t another soul in the immense, modern movie complex other than the person at the counter. I wasn’t impressed with the computer assigned seating because they were a bit far back and to the left even though no one else was in the room. In the carpeted hallway to our auditorium were posters of upcoming presentations, five of which were 3D animated cartoons: “Where The Wild Things Are,” “Chipmunks 2,” “G-Force,” “Fantastic Mr. Fox,” and “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.”

Before the movie began, then usual array of previews and advertisements showed on the big screen, all playing too loud. There was a local furniture store ad whose slogan was, “see how little style costs.” This was followed by an HIV/AIDS public service spot sincerely narrated by George, with a plea at the end to “please send money to George.” The Shut-Off-Your-Cell-Phones-And-Shut-Up warning was done in a very amateury science fiction style. A big difference from American theaters was the “please stand” notice accompanied by an image of the Kenyan flag blowing in the wind and presumably the Kenyan National Anthem playing in the background: it reminded me of a funeral dirge - I didn’t stand. However, the preceding sci-fi looking thing must have colored my imagination because the Maasai tribal shield on the Kenyan flag seemed remarkable similar to an alien’s head.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change