Channel Islands National Park, CA – October 15, 2020

Martin Hash

Channel Islands National Park, CA – October 15, 2020

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:31 pm

Like most of the National Parks in California, I'd never heard of the Channel Islands off the coast of Northern California. It consists of five islands: Anacapa, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, San Miguel & Santa Rosa, and also include the waters six nautical miles around them. They were designated as a national park in 1980. There are many interesting exhibits in the Visitor Center, which touts the islands as home to over 2,000 plant and animal species, 145 of which are found nowhere else; and an excellent place to go humpback whale-watching in the winter. There's even some pygmy mammoth fossils on one of the islands.

Boat trips to the islands take 3 hours and are relatively expensive. The kayaking and hiking looked fun but my wife, Gwynne, and I just didn't have the time nor inclination so late in the fall to get cold and wet, especially with the wind blowing, so we made do with looking the islands from afar through a spyglass.

Gwynne Looking Through Spyglass s.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change