Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

Martin Hash

Rocky Mountain National Park, CO

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Entrance Sign.JPG
Even though I've looked at the National Parks Wiki page numerous times, and have seen the map of where all the National Parks are in the U.S., I don't really know unless they're the ones I'm planning on going to next. My wife, Gwynne, and I already have multiple instances of driving down the road, seeing a sign to a National Park that wasn't even on our radar, and going to it spur of the moment; that's how we visited Rocky Mountain National Park on our way to drive Route 66. While driving through the Northwest corner of Colorado, I saw the sign; Gwynne wasn't paying attention so she missed it, but I yelled out, “National Park! We gotta go.” Because we already had a long drive day ahead of us; Gwynne was not enthusiastic about stopping somewhere for several hours even if it was a National Park, but I was not deterred.

I wanted to see the 415 square miles with over 300 miles of hiking trails; at least that's what their Website said.I had some questions: first; why is it called “Rocky Mountain” instead of “Mountains”? Second; it's actually the valleys between the mountains: Longs Peak Lookout, Beaver Meadows, Moraine Park; that are the attractions, though a snowshoe hike is advertised for the winter. Thirdly, the first thing that happens when you go to the official website is that a large popup requesting donations covers the screen. Finally, this National Park requires some kind of pledge?

I pledge to protect Rocky Mountain National Park.
I pledge to never build a fire outside of a campground or picnic area fire grate.
I pledge to park and drive only on designated asphalt or gravel parking areas, never on vegetation.
I pledge to leave no trace by stepping well away from the trail and water sources, burying my waste at least six inches deep or packing it out in a waste bag, and carrying out my toilet paper.
I pledge to watch wildlife from a distance that doesn’t disturb them in any way.
I pledge to remove nothing from the park except my own and others’ trash; not even a flower, pinecone, or rock.
I pledge to keep my leashed pet only on roads, in campgrounds, and in picnic and parking areas.
I pledge to honor, respect, and protect all our national parks and public lands.

That seems to me to be a lot of pledging; I love National Parks but I won't be saluting or chanting or taking pledges for them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change