Route 66 - Day 3, Sullivan to Carthage, MO

Martin Hash

Route 66 - Day 3, Sullivan to Carthage, MO

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:44 am

Bourbon Water Tank.JPG

I had a soft spot for the town named Bourbon after the drink with an eponymous water tower; too bad they didn't sell a shot glasses; but my wife, Gwynne, will slam on the brakes if she sees a giant rocking chair on the side of the road, and certainly if that chair used to be recognized by Guinness as the largest rocking chair in the world. People who try to beat World records are my kind weird.

Giant Rocking Chair.JPG

Route 66 becomes the ZZ Highway entering the town of Uranus. When I was a kid, it was pronounced “your anus,” so we just had to visit the Uranus Fudge Factory, which also had the Largest Belt Buckle in the World; hmmm, still fits the profile. If I was ever to own and run a roadside attraction, this place would be my model: a red double-decker bus for customer seating, dinosaurs, windmills, old cars, a real circus train cage/car, and they served ice cream too.

When we stopped at the Pulaski County Visitor Center, they wanted to take a picture of Gwynne & I to put on their webpage. We signed as visitors at most places, and there were only a couple names in their book ahead of ours, so we gladly had our picture taken. Both Gwynne & I consider fried catfish a delicacy, so the “Gary Dowd’s Catfish” sign lured us in too. A little neon, some deep-fried pickles & a bottle of bottle beer put us to bed for the night.

Gwynne Eating Catfish.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Re: Route 66, Sullivan to Carthage, MO

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:29 am

Both Gwynne & I consider fried catfish a delicacy
It's considered a delicacy down here too

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:59 pm

Missouri has some funny town names.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:04 pm

Happy wife, happy life, good times, good on you.
Nec Aspera Terrent