Peruvian Elections

Martin Hash

Peruvian Elections

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 am

Limi Riot Police.JPG
IMG_1645[1].JPG
I’ve been involved in election campaigns before, specifically my own, but that’s nothing like being immersed in the elections of other nations. Coincidently, I was in Lima, Peru on voting day, a country with mandatory voting. Every surface was covered with campaign posters. Walls and buildings were gaudily painted with slogans. Tensions were at a fever pitch, as evidenced by hundreds of riot police, armored vehicles, water cannon, and machineguns. Democracy didn’t seem so wonderful.

Peru is only a decade past its last strongman, Japanese-born Alberto Fujimori (currently in prison), and he still has a lot of conservative support among the educated people.
Compounding the problem, many of the indigenous people can’t read or even sign their name, which intensifies the feelings of competition. People vote by dipping their middle finger in purple dye and swearing to their identity. The results take weeks to be returned (I still don’t know who won!)

Batons, plastic shields, and firehoses haven’t been part of the election process in the U.S. since the 1968 Democratic convention. I suppose Peru will need to club a few more student protestors before they can reach our own level of election sophistication.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change