Lake Titicaca

Martin Hash

Lake Titicaca

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:04 am

DSCN1560.JPG
Most kids, boys especially, fondly remember their amusement during 5th Grade geography when they first learned of Lake Titicaca, Peru. I think the humor of “titicaca” stayed with me during the rest of Grade school but, frankly, I’m not sure if I knew it was a real place until actually visiting it. Not only is the lake the highest in the world, it was also the highest I’ve ever been, in several senses of the word…

I’m rarely afraid to try new things but timing, inclination, and opportunity have never synchronized such that I’ve ever tried hard drugs such as cocaine and heroin. Peru is awash in cocaine – coca tea is more widely available than English tea, and baskets of dried coca leafs are placed conspicuously as a form of hospitality. I Googled the effects of cocaine, its production, and doses before experimenting. Eating the leaves numbs your mouth but there is no other instant psychological effect – that comes about 15 minutes later. In my case, the “high” was no more than a mild intoxication. Inebriation makes me stupid, so I don’t get drunk often, and I was very curious whether the cocaine high would be any different? To test myself, I tried to remember the names of famous musicians: Trent Reznor, Layne Staley, Chris Cornell, Phil Collins, Don Henley… Yep, so cocaine doesn’t have the dumbing-down side effect of alcohol, and it doesn’t seem to cause the morning headache. However, I was anxious and unfocused for much longer than an alcohol hangover, (I was able to write this though). Final conclusion: done that – won’t do it again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change