Yosemite National Park, CA

Martin Hash

Yosemite National Park, CA

Post by Martin Hash » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:34 pm

My wife, Gwynne, had never been to Yosemite National Park, which is quite remarkable, really, seeing as how she was born and grew up within 3 hours of it. I’d been there once, briefly, as a teenager, after I could drive, just to say’ “yes,” when people asked me. Since we’d already been to Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon together, Yosemite was first on our list of parks to visit towards our goal of seeing them all, including the one in the Virgin Islands.

El Capitan.jpg
Mirror Lake Reflecting Half Dome.jpg

We’d heard that Yosemite was crowded and it did not disappoint. We arrived early to get one of the strategic parking spots, walking across a large meadow to let the spray from Yosemite Falls envelop us. Because we were prepared for it, the crowds made a great visit even better; we people-watched as much as we gasped at the scenery. Of course, we had to see El Capitan, and Half Dome reflecting into Mirror Lake with rock climbers going up the sheer face. Hiking around the lake was fabulous; some English tourists had turned back because they’d seen a bear, but being the bold American I am, I shrugged and moved forward; a little crowd followed along behind. I bought a Park Ranger Hat that said “Yosemite” on it to attach pins of future parks to. We drank “Yosemite” beer, and ravishingly ate the sandwiches at the lodge. If you can only make one park in California, there are nine total, pick Yosemite.

Yosemite Falls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change