Corfu, Greek Isles

Martin Hash

Corfu, Greek Isles

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:06 am

McDonald's.jpg

Sometimes, my wife, Gwynne, and I go someplace where the best thing is the McDonald's; not because it's the most notable, or even a tourist attraction, but because we've been-there-done-that-ate-the-food-and-all-I-want-now-is-a-hamburger. The Greek Island of Corfu, near the end of a long trip, got that distinction, but we did visit the Achilleion Palace, not because it has much to do with Corfu, it was built by Empress Elizabeth of Austria in 1889, but because she commissioned statues of herself and would only allow the sculptors to make her beautiful. Apparently, her husband had left her for another woman when she was young and she never got over it.

Empress Elizabeth.JPG

I like the story of Achilles, and was pleased to find the whole place adorned by him: a 7-meter fresco of Achilles dragging Hector in the open stairway, and a 6-meter tall bronze of warrior Achilles, along with a 5-meter dying Achilles statue in the garden overlooking the Ionian Sea.

Ionian Sea.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

C-Mag

Re: Corfu, Greek Isles

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 am

Jealous :mrgreen:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience