Santorini, Greek Isles

Martin Hash

Santorini, Greek Isles

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Greece's Santorini is the most famous of the Greek Isles, and rightfully so. It has the picturesque towns built on the side of a volcano, and views you can imagine moving there for, even if you don't speak Greek. The city street of Oia is perhaps the most quaint my wife, Gwynne, and I ever walked, so we just had to stop at a bar overlooking the Aegean Sea filling the gigantic caldera far below. This volcano is famous for destroying the Minoan empire 3600 years ago but now it's whitewashed plastered and blue-domed Byzantine churches.

Pumice Stones in Fira.JPG

With all that volcanic history, I just had to buy a volcanic stone in the town of Fira, a round piece of pumice, from a man selling it out of a basket on the street, even though I had almost no room in my luggage, which consisted of a single backpack, but some rocks are just to cool to leave behind. The island is famous for its wines so, of course, we had to stop for a tasting. Gwynne liked the sweet stuff.

Gwynne Drinking Wine.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Montegriffo

Re: Santorini

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:46 am

We always had pumice stones in the bathroom when I was growing up. It's great for getting paint off your skin.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.