Singing on the Bus

Martin Hash

Singing on the Bus

Post by Martin Hash » Thu May 02, 2019 8:49 am

Sometimes it's those last-minute calls on your cell phone from a solicitous tour agent in Cajamarca, Peru that provide the most adventure. We were done with a long day of visiting multiple cheese factories, and were just finishing up eating when the call came. Burial creches? Heck, yeah. It was raining but it wasn't cold, so we bought some pieces of plastic sheet for a $1 from the kid running the souvenir stand, and checked them out. Not much but considering they were 3000 years old, totally worth it.

Ventanillas de Otuzco.JPG

When we got back into the van, a 10-year old kid jumped in with us. He stood in the front and sang a lyrical rhyming style from the area, called Colpa, consisting of 4 lines, funny and vulgar. I could only catch a couple of them:
“He was going to kill your boyfriend,”
“And the president is a drunk.” (It rhymes in Spanish.)
He went to each of us for money, I didn't have any and smiled awkwardly.

Singing Boy.jpg

The boy jumped off at the next stop, which was an unspectacular suspension bridge, noteworthy only because it added another line-item to the brochure. I wouldn't even mention it but it was the second time I saw young woman by herself. Lately, we've noticed people traveling for no other reason than to take pictures of themselves. She was blocking the bridge, ignoring everyone and everything around her.
“That gal’s doing an Instagram,” I said. “I can tell by the make-up and the Selfie-stick.”

Instagram Girl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change