Holy Zoo, Cajamarca, Peru

Martin Hash

Holy Zoo, Cajamarca, Peru

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Zoo on a Mountain.jpg

When you visit a lot of zoos, it seems logical to categorize them, not just for their size or the animals they contain, but how they are constructed: for example, the zoo in Cajamarca, Peru is either my favorite “chain-link & chicken-wire” zoo, or top 2 “mountain” zoo, the best being in La Paz, Bolivia. Putting zoos on extreme slopes fits logically with Machu Picchu: let’s build a city on the top of this mountain out of 20 ton blocks that have to be hauled 100 miles up the sides of the Andes; but it could also be categorized as the best “holy zoo.” While the designers were thinking “this mountainside is perfect for a zoo,” they were also envisioning The Lord's word over the jaguar enclosure, and topical scripture along the aviary. Certainly as you enter Parque Zoologico, the signs indicates what animals you will encounter along with appropriate Bible verses, (and No Pets).

Zoo Signs.JPG

Actually, considering the locale, the zoo was relatively impressive with multiple Spectacled Bears (“Paddington” Bears) & jaguars native to South America, and oddly, several African lions. “Leons” seem to be a big draw in Cajamarca. It did seem cruel that the geese had a much bigger enclosure than the jaguars, but since there was no top on either, I suspect the jaguars were fine with an occasional surprise menu item. I took great pleasure in being able to read in Spanish the Holy Scriptures posted throughout the zoo; but it was not so holy they close on Easter Sunday when we were there.

Bible Verse 1.jpg
Bible Verse 2.jpg

We ate mushroom-flavored popsicles, which tasted suspiciously like vanilla, and ate mushroom ceviche local to the area, but we had to be careful of the time because the guide told us anyone late back to the bus would be left behind; apparently that didn’t apply to the driver, who was no where to be found when it was time to go.

Spectacled Bears.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change