Halloween in the Graveyard

Martin Hash

Halloween in the Graveyard

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:14 pm

It’s a cliché but I’ve always wanted to visit a graveyard on Halloween night so when my son, Haven, asked about doing it in Lima, I was all over the idea. In my mind I was envisioning gravestones & crypts but the place we went to was a giant mausoleum, walls of niches housing a corpse and sealed with a concrete facades.
Crypts.JPG
There were plenty of cracks to trip over in the dark, and pits to fall into.
The tour was over 3 hours long, as the guide told story after story in Spanish, with lots of colloquialisms, so I could only follow half of what he said. After listening to one particularly lengthy ghost story that feature a candelabra & a skull, we were all given tiny plastic pumpkins with bizarre gorilla-headed caps filled with candy.
Pumpkins.jpg
I was most fascinated by a marble statue of 7-year old boy who was famous because he was “well liked.” Someone had put a red silk cape on the statue, and the wall behind it was covered with photos and cards. Visitors were encouraged to leave money.
Caped Statue.jpg
The most interesting part of the whole thing for me was the 1930’s era hearse parked out front, unrestored but still in such fantastic condition that I was imagining a body laid out in the back. Whatever expectations I had about visiting a graveyard on Halloween were more than fulfilled so I don’t think I have to do it again until there’s a statue of me in a red silk cape.

Hearse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change